Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have a 2012 Mac Pro that I have been running El Capitan on since it came out. Unfortunately several of the latest Adobe CC 2019 apps will not update with anything less than Sierra and the new version 12 of Capture One would not even install yesterday. So today I bit the bullet and upgraded to the latest version of Sierra and everything "seems" to be working so far (except Quickbook Essentials - they finally sucked me into their subscription software to get that working again!).

My question is, is there any real advantage for me to take the next step to High Sierra? All I have seen is mainly negative comments about it (and I cannot upgrade to Mojave yet without spending hundreds of dollars on video cards, etc.). Also, from what I have read, my Quickbooks 2015 will not run in High Sierra (of course they say it won't run in Sierra, but it is working so far?) Quickbooks 2019 is another $200+.

I am thinking it may just be better to stop at Sierra until the new modular Mac Pro comes out (it could happen!)... thoughts?

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The latest security update to High Sierra just messed up the Script I use to connect to a folder on a second mac running Sierra. Now, instead of choosing the script from my menu, I have to choose the script. answer a security dialog, and explicitly open the volume which contains the folder I want to appear on my desktop.
I may be able to find a work around, but it's extremely annoying right now.
I've been using slight variants of this script since 2004, and now Apple wants me to do a complete rewrite for my low security threat private network?

I'll have to look up words, and paths, and use "quoted form of" for shell scripts, with some skill.
It takes time to update that knowledge base. Time I could be using to far better purpose.
Eventually, I'll get around to it, but it'll irritate me every stinking day until I do.

Stick with El Cap, or suffer the consequences of overzealous security fervor.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
The lack of security updates would be the biggest mover for me. It’s what has me finally considering upgrading my 2011 Air to HS. Still not sure that I will, as it only has 2GB of RAM.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If El Cap runs fine for you -- no reason why you can't keep using it a while longer.

High Sierra seemed shaky for a while, but is now a "matured" OS. If I were to install it, I'd stick with HFS+ (instead of APFS).

I use Low Sierra (10.12). Runs clean, no problems.

baas

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
I wonder the same, MacBook pro 2011 still on Sierra so why should I upgrade? Maybe next fall when it stops receiving security updates?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes, it's true that there are no more security updates for 10.11. However, that doesn't mean the OS is now insecure by default. Security updates always have to be taken with a grain of salt - you can already improve the situation drastically by not using the default web browser or mail application but up-to-date third party applications such as Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.

That said with Sierra you are still going to be good for another year since Apple tends to patch their current release plus its two immediate predecessors. In other words: 10.12 will be fully supported until 10.16 is out, which is going to happen at some point in late 2019. And like I said: it is going to remain usable for a very long time afterwards as well as long as you keep using your brain, don't click on every message that randomly pops up in your browser and are cautious and wary by default in general.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I have a 2012 Mac Pro that I have been running El Capitan on since it came out.

1. Unfortunately several of the latest Adobe CC 2019 apps will not update with anything less than Sierra and the new version 12 of Capture One would not even install yesterday.

2. My question is, is there any real advantage for me to take the next step to High Sierra?

3. Also, from what I have read, my Quickbooks 2015 will not run in High Sierra (of course they say it won't run in Sierra, but it is working so far?) Quickbooks 2019 is another $200+.

4. until the new modular Mac Pro comes out (it could happen!)...

1. This is why I try to stay current or only one-version behind . Also, IIRC, the latest X-Code update would not install until I was running (at least) High-Sierra.

https://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.com/2018/08/apple-macos-high-sierra-upgrade.html

2. I think you answered your own question. :) You can only hold-off upgrading until your apps stop installing/updating. Also, I think you only get all the latest Security Updates on the more recent versions of macOS.

3. I needed to upgrade my QuickBooks 2008 for Windows. I considered getting a Mac version for the first time. However, after reading the forums and all the problems with QuickBooks for Mac, I decided to keep my QuickBooks on the more stable Windows version. I purchased QuickBooks Pro 2018 for Windows. I'll run it on Windows (either native BootCamp or with Parallels).

4. I don't think any of us will live that long. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.