any reason to wait anymore? mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by terrordemon, Jun 12, 2007.

1. terrordemon macrumors member

so i'm going to be getting a new mbp for my semester abroad (rome) next semester. i'm currently an architecture student so i need the mbp because i do a lot of graphics editing, 3d, rendering, etc. ideally i want the 13" mbp but that didnt come out :( and unfortunately the macbook isnt powerful enough, i need a well built laptop with a half decent graphics card because this is going to hopefully last me 3+ years

is there any reason to wait to get the mbp? it was recently updated, so i dont know if there is. i'm going to be getting the 15" mbp 2.4 and maybe upgrade ram from kingston to 4gb

thanks for the advice

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't see any reason to wait, but if you don't need the computer right now then it would not hurt to wait.

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I seriously doubt they'd be upgraded again prior to the next semester starting, so anytime before then seems safe. Plus you get a free iPod (or rather $200 off any iPod) for the next couple of months through the education store.

4. myjellyass macrumors regular

An update is unlikely seeing as they just updated it a week ago.

5. jamesybsu macrumors regular

Get One!

well i have been a macrumors visitor for about a year now, and your question finally made me register. I too am an architecture student and recently switched from a Powerbook g4 to a macbook pro w\ 2.2ghz duo in it and 2gb of ram. I switched mainly due to the fact that I use Rhino3D (and AutoCAD) and its only a windows program. I have found that it runs windows better than any PC i have ever used and when running rendering programs (FormZ, 3D Max, Flamingo) it seems to work well. I would recomend getting as much RAM as possible, it will only help your rendering processes (as I know they sometimes get huge!!) Although when it comes to using the Adobe things (photoshop, indesign) it runs so much smoother on the Mac. So I highly recommend getting the new macbooks as much ram as u could put in it. I also noticed one 15" version comes with the 128mb video card compared to the other 15" version (2.4ghz) that has a 256mb, i would be curious how one runs better than the other. Although I think the main reason to switch to a Mac is because it was designed for the user with things like lighted keyboard and expose, which I use all the time whether I am in a dark lecture hall, or working with 4 different programs with no problems (unlike a PC), I think you'll see you won't being going back to a PC for a long time!