Any reason to wait for Lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luigidorf, Jun 25, 2011.

  1. luigidorf macrumors newbie

    May 25, 2009
    So I'm going to buy a new MPB this summer... I was going to get it a month ago but I decided to wait for Lion because I really don't need it until I go away to college in August. Now that Apple has offered a free Lion download for those who buy new Macs before the release date, it would seem that I have no reason to wait. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple is going to release some other stuff with Lion, and Apple is using the new deal to lure in unsuspecting customers that would otherwise wait. Are my suspicions well-founded? Is there a chance that a MBP bought after the Lion release date would have software that a MPB upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion would lack?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    No from me too.

    if you're looking for a "why?" answer.. please post "why?"
  4. Dwee8le macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2010
    Amsterdam, Holland
    The only reason to wait for lion would be that when lion is released, it will be preinstalled on your MBP and your recovery dvd will also contain lion instead of snow leopard. Not one of the best reasons to wait though.
    There will be absolutely no difference between the MBP one day before Lion and one day after lion besides the change in OS and recovery dvd.

    Apple is doing the same thing as in 2009 when snow leopard came out. I bought a MBP one month before the release. My MBP had leopard on it and I could order a version of Snow leopard for a few euros and that was it; no hardware or software difference between my june MBP 2009 with leopard and a Mbp 2009 from july/august with snow leopard preinstalled.
  5. intwo macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2011
    I am also waiting to purchase a MBP when Lion comes out. Hopefully the suspicion is correct!
  6. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Nope, I think what we see is what we get with Lion and the rest of apple's offering. The idea of waiting until you need the computer is sound and logical, so if you can still wait then that's the safest approach. Personally with my need to have instant gratification I tend to not wait but that's me and my weakness ;)
  7. omicron macrumors member

    Jun 20, 2011
    There is no reason to wait if you're thinking about getting a MBP. I'm waiting because I'm thinking about getting the MB or MBA which might be refreshed a little bit after Lion is released.

    But the MBP was already given fresh parts so...
  8. hajime macrumors 601

    Jul 23, 2007
    There may be bugs when Lion is released. Better to buy the computer now to use the stable Snow Leopard. You can upgrade to Lion once those possible-bugs are fixed later.
  9. luigidorf thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 25, 2009

    Is it because of possible bugs? Has that been a problem on previous operating systems upon release?
  10. brendu macrumors 68020

    Apr 23, 2009
    I agree. Snow leopard is very stable. I am using the developer preview of Lion and it does have some bugs. They might be worked out by the time it is rolled out but there might still be some issues. I would buy now, enjoy your mac and when you feel like it then upgrade to Lion. I see no point in waiting (unless you wanted to buy a Mac Pro of course).
  11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Mar 31, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    This. Of course, there are rumors of a new MBA coming out as well but if you aren't thinking about getting that and you're set on the MacBook Pro, just get it now.

    Apple's in the business of making money, not blatantly screwing their customers over something as trivial as a software update. Buying a MBA right now would be a little risky, however.

Share This Page