Any reason to wait for MWSF for a Macbook purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munckee, Jan 3, 2009.

  1. munckee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2005
    #1
    I realize its only a couple of days away, so I may wait. That said, at most they'd probably give 'em a speed bump, which I wouldn't purchase new from the store anyway. I'll probably grab a refurb or similar regardless...
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
  3. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #3
    I wouldn't expect any kind of update to the MacBook until late spring/early summer.
     
  4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

    Lone Deranger

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    There has been some mention/rumor here and there of lowered prices.
    Can't hurt to wait 3 more days.
     
  5. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #5
    ILife and iWork..but I don't know if refurbs get the SW upgrade
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    Who the heck says Snow Leopard will be at MacWorld? It's slated for WWDC.
     
  7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #7
    No updates are expected until Spring.
     
  8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #8
    If you want a macbook = Dont Bother Waiting
    If you want a macbook pro = Dont Bother Waiting
    If you want a macbook pro 17" = Wait

    :):apple:
     
  9. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #9
    Actually, only iLife. iWork must be bought, and trials are available for download. iLife 09 is probably the only reason to wait, but as it is only a few days away, probably worth waiting for.
     
  10. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #10
    I didn't say anything about Snow Leopard, I thought if iLife 09 or something was available it would come with 10.5 as well, and not necessarily with 10.6.
    And I kind of feel Snow Leopard will be announced on Tuesday to be delivered at WWDC and probably pushed at September or something, I just hope it's ready when available.
     
  11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #11
    Agreed. Unless you absolutely need it now, I'd wait and see what happens at MWSF.
     
  12. freebooter macrumors 65816

    freebooter

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Location:
    Daegu, South Korea
    #12
    Snow Leopard has already been announced. It'll be 'show cased' at MW.
     
  13. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #13
    Better question


    Any reason NOT to?


    Seriously....like are you going away for 3 months, and you'll need it or something of that manner?


    If not, I'd wait
     
  14. colickyboy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    #14
    I read a report that Apple may announce a lower-end MacBook at MWSF. Dunno if it's true or not, but unless you're only getting a upper-end MacBook or MBP, wouldn't hurt to wait 3 days and see...
     
  15. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #15
    Its barely 3 days away, it won't hurt to wait and see.
     
  16. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

    AstrosFan

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #16
    There's a rumor this morning they may do away with the low-end white MacBook, which could affect the price point of the current low-end Alu MB.
    You could save some $ by waiting a few days...
     
  17. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #17
    Its like about 24 hours....

    I'd rather wait for that much time even if there weren't any remote rumors about. After all... you can hardly trust Apple these days. The word "Unexpected" has taken a completely new meaning for the company!
     
  18. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #18
    I guess it depends on how many white Macbooks Apple has been selling since October. And the 9to5Mac's suspects are quite obvious:)
     
  19. borjasanz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #19
    I heard that they're taking the White Macbook out of the market so the low-end Alu MB might become a little cheaper.
     
  20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #20
    The keynote is on the SIXTH, everyone!
     
  21. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #21
    Apple will but hell knows when, I hope on Tuesday but quite unlikely. Maybe this is why they Kept the base aluminum a 2.0GHz only. Maybe in a few months, when they can bump the CPU of about .133 MHz they'll still be able to offer 3 Macbooks, the base one being 2.0 with no backlit KB. Could there also be a Completely Black Aluminum Macbook for a price just under the MBA's?
     
  22. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #22
    I would wait unless you absolutely need it in the next 48 hours. I find it hard to believe that Apple's last keynote at MacWorld will be without surprises.
     
  23. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #23
    You could buy it, don't open it, and then after the keynote if there's nothing open it! Otherwise return it!
     
  24. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2005
    #24
    Have decided just to wait a couple of days. Thanks for the input.
     
  25. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #25
    Yeah. probably the easiest and best move. You can buy the machine as early as Tuesday if there's nothing announced.
     

Share This Page