Any reason to wait to purchase a new Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jefe's MacAir, Aug 14, 2019 at 2:25 PM.

1. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I took advantage of the education pricing + free Beats Solo3 wireless headphones deal that also included the trade in of my Late 16 13" Pro. I'm 'promised' nearly ½ of what I paid 3 years ago and the pricing including AppleCare and the Beats headphones incentive was enough to at least get me to try it out. I also moved up to 16GB RAM as that's where I believe I would/will see the most improvement.

My real question is; Is there a reason to return this one and wait for an upcoming update that I'm not aware of since I don't frequent the Air forum often and I haven't been paying attention to recent Rumors?

I've been considering the Air for awhile since the Retina update and the Finger Print sensor motivated me. I miss the TouchBar but not the keyboard. This keyboard is an improvement over the Pro's.

My Geekbench scores are pretty decent so far as well.

2. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

From what I’ve seen there haven’t been rumors regarding a new MacBook Air.

Which means Apple will release a new one with 10th gen processors shortly.

3. Jefe's MacAir thread starter macrumors 6502

I've run several Geekbench tests and Blackmagic Disk read/write and both of those bode well. I don't have my Pro in front of me so I can't compare but based on GB scores and my poor memory of what will and won't run on Blackmagic, they are very similar in speeds giving the edge to the new Air.

Keyboard is way better on the Air. Still kinda noisy, but different 'soft' noisy. Not as 'clicky' as the Pro. I think I'm hitting the new keys too hard due to muscle memory from the Pro's keys. *Note: My keyboard was replaced under warranty on the Pro about 1.5 years ago. The keys on the Air seem to "leak" light around the keys but this may actually be a feature and not an unintended consequence. Hasn't bothered me so far.

4. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Why Air? Why not go with the more powerful Pro?

5. Jefe's MacAir thread starter macrumors 6502

Good question.

I don't "need" a Pro. My use profile is relatively light. When I bought the Late 16' 13" Pro, price and feature wise it was a no brainer. The newest Pro was so far ahead of everything else and the price gap was so minimal, it wouldn't make sense to not get a 13" Pro vs. the Air or MBr.

Comparing today, the features are much more similar but the prices are greater. I missed the form factor of the Air, I've had three before, and the ¾ lb. weight difference can be felt. Battery life on the Pro was not what I had hoped for. It was very good by industry standards but vs. the Air, it wasn't even close. When they added the finger print sensor, it was all I needed to move back. And if my memory serves, I'm getting similar performance from this new Air vs. my three year old Pro. I added 8 GB RAM for 16 total and I believe that is where I'll feel most gain.

I have two weeks to play with it and see.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

The most recent timeline I've seen for Intel. Says they don't plan to have a replacement Y-series CPU until Q2 2020 ready for shipment. I can't imagine Apple will have anything new until then. Unless Intel is ahead of schedule or kept some update secret.

7. Bel Marduk macrumors newbie

Hopefully they will release a compact new model of the Air to replace the 12 Macbook.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Why? It's not needed.

9. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

I understand both points of view here, my main machine is a 2013 15' pro which weighs too much to be practical on the go. That is where my 2015 MacBook 12' came in handy.

The rMB 12 is the perfect weight for this type of 'on to go machine', and the 2017 1.4 Model is highly comparable; spec wise, to the current air. But a 13 pro would provide faster specs but scrap the main benefit of weight. I think what my type of user would want for this update, would be a BTO MacBook Air with a faster processor, that makes the upgrade justifiable rather than say a 1.4ghz refurb rmb.

10. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Weren't there rumors surrounding an ARM Macbook?

It's entirely possible the Macbook is only temporarily dead, and will return once more featuring a design similar to the Air but with an efficient Apple-designed ARM CPU at its core.

(and then, we can finally scrap the Air once and for all)

Holds true today:

[​IMG]