Any reason why I shouldn't get rid of iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marvin*1*2, Aug 3, 2007.

1. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

so... software update just wants me to download a 23gb update for itunes...
    I'm not using this pos software, I never liked it (neither on pc nor on mac) - it's a resource hog and it treats me like an imbecile, but most importantly, it disrespects my privacy by periodically phoning home and telling apple what music I got which is totally disgusting.:eek::mad:

but that's not really the sort of discussion I want to start

what I want to know is if there is any reason why I shouldn't get rid of itunes from a technical point of view - like, will some other stuff cease to function properly or something? do I need itunes for anything else but play music?

and how would I get rid of it? just drag the app-icon to the trash? will that leave no zombie files on my hd?

I am new to osx and am currently using cog as a mp3 player, which is lightweight and straightforward without trying reinvent the wheel as it's using the filesystem instead of some weird library that just messes up anyway... but I miss some functions like equalizer or automatic sound level adjustment...:(
    maybe there's something better?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't know of any reason that you need to keep it, but you also if you don't use it don't need to bothedr with downloading the update and you could keep it in case you ever decide you want to use it, I don't think it takes up much space, and are you sure that the update was really 23GB and not 23MB?

3. marvin*1*2 thread starter macrumors member

marvin*1*2

uh, my bad, checked again and you're right... well actually, it's 34...mega :eek:
    I thought 23gb was wild :)

still though, I got no space to waste...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No it doesn't, it doesn't phone home to Apple unless you choose to use the mini-store, in which case it does so anonymously. Remember that Google keeps your personal data for every search ;).

Also a 34MB update isn't that big a big deal if you have broadband, especially as the iTunes update entirely wipes the existing installation of it.
    No you don't.

I think that would work.

Well yes, its like using Winamp in 1999, it is OK and light on the system but not as easy to use as iTunes.

What? My iTunes library has never "messed up", and you can always reimport the .xml file. The library makes it really easy to navigate your music IMO.

I think you'll then have to stick with iTunes.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

:rolleyes: Nice little dig at iTunes, though, wasn't it?

I don't think it will hurt to get rid of it, but i wouldn't do it myself, if only for things like Front Row support.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

iTunes is a resource hog?! Mines currently using 52mb of RAM and 3.4% CPU. Surely your MBP can cope with that?

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I wouldn't bother deleting it... just stop using it if you don't like it. You can delete its entry in Software update, then you won't be asked to download anymore updates. The only thing you'll lose is the integration with the other iLife apps.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah but Cog/Winamp probably use 3.4% CPU on a computer from 2000/2001 ;). iTunes does use more resources than it should.