Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Looking for a Macbook Pro and noticed that Refurbished MBP are less expensive. Dont know how reliable they are. Is it worth taking a chance?

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
One refurb I got had a yellow tinge to the screen. I personally would not get one again. Many people swear by them and many suggest they undergo a more rigorous inspection than the retail models. I think it's a gamble but then again you can always return it all the same!

Edit:
My time capsule is a refurb and it's flawless. The refurb box is better than retail because it gets foam on the inside

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Looking for a Macbook Pro and noticed that Refurbished MBP are less expensive. Dont know how reliable they are. Is it worth taking a chance?

They have the same warranty as a new Mac. They are in "like new" condition, but typically in a brown box that says "Apple Refurbished."

I've never had a problem with Apple refurbs.

One refurb I got had a yellow tinge to the screen.

Plenty of people have reported yellow tinted screens on their new Macs too.

Reactions: snaky69

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It's a reduced price for a machine with the same warranty as a new computer.

Many people get machines that look as good as new.

I've purchased refurbs and had mixed results with Apple. Some have been great, some have literally looked like the were dragged down the highway behind a truck.

One iMac came to me with a chunk missing from the top about a half inch of material missing from the case. The screen and the case had severe abrasions covering the entire surface. And the keyboard and mouse looked as bad.

I contacted Apple immediately after opening the box, and was informed that they would not accept the machine back. And was told that the damage was cosmetic and not covered by the warranty.

Refusing to accept that argument, I took it and the shipping receipt confirmation down to the local service center. I was able to show that I had literally just signed for the machine's delivery. And that obviously I had not had possession of the machine long enough to inflict such severe damage. I was there within an hour of signing for the package. And had a printout of the delivery confirmation.

The service center also informed me that the damage was cosmetic in nature and would not be covered by the warranty.

But my savior came in the form of malfunctions inside the machine. I had them test it. And the machine powered up, but had a faulty Ethernet port requiring a new logic board.

So in the end, the machine was replaced. But only because it had an operational defect.

If all that was wrong with it was that it arrived an ugly mess, I'd have been stuck with it as is.

Apple's warranty excludes cosmetic defects. And they have refused to permit exchanges based on cosmetic defects on more than one occasion with me.

I've had them ship me brand new iPods with major scratches in the case and paint as well. And refuse to permit returns on them.

So while your odds are good that your refurb purchase will be fine, there are chances you could get something less than nice, and be stuck with it.

I only purchase my Apple items from local independent stores now. I buy only from places that give me 30 days no questions asked return policies. I can return it just because I changed my mind, because it's got a flaw, I decided I didn't like the color, or no reason at all. I do not buy through Apple's channel anymore. Not worth the restrictive return policy or the gamble.

So simply put, your odds on a refurb are 50/50. And I wouldn't envy your options if your machine arrives with physical flaws.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I've bought 3 or 4 things from Apple in the past that were refurbs. They all looked like brand new when I got them, and none of them had any functionality issues.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Should I only buy from Apple?
[doublepost=1456756887][/doublepost]BTW: I returned a machine back to Data Visions and they are charging me a 15% restocking fee.

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
that's ridiculous. did you read their return policy. I can't tolerate stores that charge customers restocking fee for returning.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The downside for me, and the reason I don't typically buy Apple refurbs, is my VISA card gives me an extra year warranty if I buy a Mac with the card, but that warranty does not apply to refurbs.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The downside for me, and the reason I don't typically buy Apple refurbs, is my VISA card gives me an extra year warranty if I buy a Mac with the card, but that warranty does not apply to refurbs.

The discount for a refurb in most cases would more than cover the cost of Applecare bringing your warranty to 3 years.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I've bought an MBP and a couple of Airport Extreme's from the Refurb store and I've been pleased with the purchases.

For computers, the refurb discount is typically 15%. But for the 2012 non-Retina MBP, it's currently 24%. The cheapest price it came down to over Christmas was still $70 more. For the 15% discount computers, if there's a good sale from a reputable retailer, the difference may not be that much between refurb and new and so it may make sense for some the reasons given by the different posters to go new. If you can wait for a few weeks, there may be better-than-typical sales (don't expect fire sales, though) if the new MBP is announced on March 21. But then, you may want the new model?.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
I found two Used MBP'S on Amazon. Looks pretty good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-29-18-53-51.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-18-53-51.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2016-02-29-18-52-27.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-18-52-27.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 54

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i have bought many refurbs, never an issue with any of them. plus as stated, fully factory warranty. only downside is if maybe you want to sell in a few months. some people may frown about the packaging and such.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I've bought refurbished from the Apple online refurb store...

1 27" iMac
2 iPad mini
2 iPod touch

All were just as new. Only difference was the box. Seriously the same.

I just saved $300 buying a MacBook Pro 15" that I'll be getting on Wed.

I love the Apple refurb store.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Apple refurbs are almost always just repackaged new units that were returned within the 14 day window. Source: apple store employee.

And if they actually did have a problem in their previous life, the battery, chassis and serial number is brand new, in addition to whatever issue it had being fixed + multipoint inspection.

And personally I like the minimalist white cardboard box they come in. To date I have had a late 2008 15" MBP refurb (worked flawlessly for 4 years then sold it), late 2013 15" rMBP maxed out (worked flawlessly, sold 9 months later to upgrade to an nMP), about 5-6 apple TV's for the house and office, and a refurb time capsule I got a month ago that is flawless.

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
I would wait for the refresh that is happening (most likely) later this month and then buy a new macbook pro that is either one or two generations behind. Any macbook pro retina from 2014-2015 is more than powerful enough for most people and you can still buy them brand new from various sites at deeply discounted closeout prices. I bought my current Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina online brand new in December of 2014 as a closeout item and saved about $400 compared to an equally equipped new Pro at the time.

I do not recommend buying laptop computers (any brand) that are used or refurbished. Once a laptop has 2-3 years of normal-heavy use - it can be prone to defects and Consumer reports suggests that after a computer has been used for two years it is not financially sensible to repair it. Though the macbook line is hard to repair anyway.

Too many things can go wrong with refurb or used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.