Any reasons for service battery besides age?

Capex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I noticed "service battery" this morning in my battery life menu thing. I am currently in the process of calibrating it, and I don't know what to do. I have Macbook Pro 5,5 and it is 29 months old.

What can I do beyond this?

chillfrilla

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
I noticed "service battery" this morning in my battery life menu thing. I am currently in the process of calibrating it, and I don't know what to do. I have Macbook Pro 5,5 and it is 29 months old.

29months? yeah it would be age for sure

Comment

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
It's just because your battery isn't holding as much charge as it should anymore. If it's still meeting your needs, you can ignore it. If you need more battery time than it's giving, get a new battery. If you get a new one, get it from Apple. Third party batteries aren't a very good idea.

Comment

Capex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Thanks everyone. It still lasts 3.5 hours and I am often not without my charger so I'll be good.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Battery conditions
Service Battery: The battery isn’t functioning normally, and you may or may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. Take your computer in for service. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Comment

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you're able too get the battery swapped free of charge, I would go ahead and do it through Apple but if not, then if it meets your needs, then keep the battery until it can't hold a charge.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.