Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I have been using Windows XP Professional SP2 and Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my MBP. Are there good reasons to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit? Do you see noticable imporvement in performance after upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit? Thank you.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
If XP and Vista are both working fine for you, then there really isn't a reason to go out and buy 7.

Unless you really want to, that is.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I truly believe that Windows 7 is only a marginal upgrade over Vista. So if you already have Vista Ultimate 64-bit, I'd say there's no reason at all to upgrade to 7. Especially not if, as CJS7070 suggested, Vista is working fine for you. Seriously, Vista, with all the current updates and patches, is as good an OS as 7 is. It just uses a bit more resources from your computer, but if it's fast enough, chances are you won't even notice it.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
From my experience Vista is actually significantly faster than 7 for general computing, particularly on an older system. Plus 7 looks a bit cluttered and bloated; Vista had a much more pleasant interface.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
From my experience Vista is actually significantly faster than 7 for general computing, particularly on an older system. Plus 7 looks a bit cluttered and bloated; Vista had a much more pleasant interface.

How about in new systems with many cores? I may buy the upcoming Mac Pro.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Interesting. I think that exactly the opposite is the case: In my experience, Windows 7 is much faster than Vista on the same hardware and especially on older machines. I also think that the UI of Windows 7 is much better organized and that it is easier to find your way through it.

In other words: Windows 7 is what Vista should have been in the first place. I think it's worth upgrading from XP or Vista to 64-Bit Windows 7.

However, I don't think anyone needs the Ultimate Edition. The only two features that it adds compared to the Professional Editions is hard disk encryption and the multi-lingual user interface. And unlike Vista Business, Win 7 Professional contains all the multimedia features, which usually is the reason why people who also needed the business features bought Vista Ultimate Edition.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland

Your experience is wrong. Windows 7 is significantly lighter and more RAM/CPU efficient.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Your experience is wrong. Windows 7 is significantly lighter and more RAM/CPU efficient.

That's your experience. Everyone's experiences are different. Just because it doesn't agree with yours doesn't make it wrong.

I also find Vista to be slightly less bloated then Windows 7.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I decided not to Bootcamp this time around, but I have found Windows 7 to be slightly more stable and responsive than Vista using Fusion

If you are happy with what you are using, and you are not experiencing specific problems, then I don't believe there is a compelling reason to upgrade

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Windows 7 definitely more efficient than Vista. Just look at the minimum cpu usage. 7 may be a bit of a hard drive and RAM hog, but performance-wise is better.

As for XP, if you already have that running, I probably wouldn't upgrade yet. XP is still the fastest.

And as for Ultimate, is useful if you do a lot of professional things, but for everyday use, a lower version will do fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.