Any recommendation for headphones?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mavericks7913, May 8, 2016.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

I used Dr.dre Pro headphone for 3 years and it's too old that I can't even go out with it cause the leather is almost ruined and dirty that I can't even replace or repair. So I'm thinking to buy a new one with similar audio quality of Dr.dre Pro. I know that Dr.dre headphones are suck but at least I enjoyed Pro headphone's audio performance(It was a gift btw)

The price that I'm thinking is between $100~200. Sennheiser Urbanite XL is nice but I'm really not sure where to test the sound quality. Are there any choices for headphone?

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Is there a Guitar Center near you? If you want something for the visual aspect as much as the audio aspect, get a Bose or Beats. For pure audio, look into anything Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, or Beyerdynamic. People will generally have a preference (mine is Shure), but for the most part they are all fairly comparable at a given price, and the more you spend the better headphones you get.

3. accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Sennheiser are my personal favs. You can get them at different price points too.

4. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

Personally I still use these Technics (they're no longer currently made): https://amzn.com/B00008VIJ4

They're built like a tank and the only problem I've had with them is some flaking of the leather ear cushion which isn't really a problem after all these years as you can simply replace them. Initially they retailed for about $150 if I remember correctly.

If I were to buy new right now I'd probably go Pioneer:
    http://www.pssl.com/Studio-DJ-Headphones/Pioneer-HDJ-1500-Pro-DJ-Headphones-Silver

or Audio Technica:
    http://www.pssl.com/Studio-DJ-Headphones/Audio-Technica-Limited-Edition-M50X-MG-Headphones

or maybe Ultrasone:
    http://www.pssl.com/Studio-DJ-Headphones/Ultrasone-DJ1-Stereo-DJ-Headphones-With-S-Logic

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Another vote for Audio Technica; and I would also recommend Grado, some by Sennheiser are pretty good. Two years ago, Marshall (the same company that made the speakers you see in old photographs of The Beatles) made a very nice headphone at a decent price.

Personally, I use Bowers & Wilkins - the P5 (which are my favourite - and I use them especially when I am travelling) and the first rate P7s, gorgeous headphones, which are perfect for armchair listening.

6. akash.nu macrumors 68000

akash.nu

Audio Technica is the winner for audio quality within affordable price point, hands down. Sennheiser is close second.

7. redshifted macrumors regular

redshifted

I can also agree with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x recommendation in your price range. I bought my son a pair for $120 off Amazon a couple of months ago. He loves 'em. They sound pretty good to me too - not super-audiophile rarified air sound - but pretty good. They're really good in the sub-$150 range.

Be aware that they came with three cords but none have iPhone control/mic capability.

8. Sheller macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried the CAD MH510's? Curious to know what people think. I haven't seen any around to try them myself but I do like that the cable detaches from the headset.

9. seggy macrumors member

With the way things are going wireless may not be a bad idea.

I'm a big fan of the comfort and generally non-dork-central visuals of the $280 Bose Soundlink AEII, and overall performance ain't bad for wireless.

10. kapp2 macrumors 6502

kapp2

11. seggy macrumors member

Anyone who uses an SR60 as a portable is:

- Incredibly inconsiderate
    - Hard of hearing, or will be
    - Potentially hard of thinking