Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clandest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
So I want to start to get organized and a good way to remember things easily. And I was wondering what a great "GTD" app would be to use. I saw a couple on the app store for $9.99 and was wondering is it really worth that price? Interface/Design is a big issue. It has to be pleasant on the eyes and flow well.

Thanks!

(any links please put in the [app]['/'app] tags)

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
So I want to start to get organized and a good way to remember things easily. And I was wondering what a great "GTD" app would be to use. I saw a couple on the app store for $9.99 and was wondering is it really worth that price? Interface/Design is a big issue. It has to be pleasant on the eyes and flow well.

Thanks!

(any links please put in the [app]['/'app] tags)

I've been using Things since it was released and really like it. It syncs nicely with the desktop application, so I can write my to-do lists on my computer and then take them with me. The UI is beautiful and very Apple-like and I've never noticed any bugs. It was perfect for me at college because I made a separate "project" out of each class, and each day's assignment on the syllabus was a separate to-do. When my homework was due, I got a little red badge on the icon which was just how I needed to be reminded! It's also good for smaller projects and I like its areas of responsibility concept (for things like "home" and "work") for to-dos that come up, but that don't really belong in a bigger project.

What will you be using it for (i.e. work, home, school)?

Clandest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
for work/home

things looks really nice. The only thing preventing me from buying it is that people are saying the support is terrible and the app isn't getting that much "love"

If I am going to be spending $10. I want an app that will be getting new features/frequent needed updates.

mynameisraj

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
Cultured Code also felt like they weren't putting out useful updates, so they made a roadmap.

Things by far is the best. I use it every day and it's solid.

New features will be coming soon, it's just that the team is working on them. Read the roadmap that they posted.

+∞ for Things

tboooe

macrumors regular
May 22, 2009
I use Pocket Informant which is a full PIM application. It may be overkill for you but I really like this app.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
another vote for things

one of the things mentioned in the roadmap that is coming is OTA sync - so you don't need to be connected to the same wifi network or use mobileme/webDAV like you do for omnifocus

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I've tried a lot of these apps and eventually settles on Remember The Milk. The app is free but requires a $25/yr subscription to their web service. It may seem a lot of money, but the service has been running for quite a few years now and the iPhone app is only a recent addition. The advatnage of this option for me is the ability to access my todo list from any machine anywhere without the reliance on a locally stored database on my computer. Also the iPhone app itself I have found to be superior to the other offerings with functionality like search, gps "nearby" list (you can assign locations for each task), smart lists, customisable toolbar, push notifications, and much more.

I tried OmniFocus, but found it too slow when starting the app and syncing. I also found it too bloated for my needs, especially on the desktop app.

Things I found to be too buggy, with long waits for fixes from the devs. Also I didn't like the reliance on manual local wifi syncing to keep the iPhone app up to date.

Pocket Informant is a great app with support that is second to none. However it relies on syncing with the Toodledo online task mgmt service which I just couldn't get to like however much I tried. But soon PI will be offering local syncing with apps such as Outlook & Things.

Appigo's Todo is a very good app with functionality to sync with Remember The Milk, Toodledo or your own iCal app if you use a mac. I just personally prefer the official RTM app over this.

I've also tried a number of other "smaller" apps such as IMExchange for syncing tasks from my exchange account, Toodledo's own app, FCTasks by Franklin Covey, and numerous others, but ultimately RTM provides the most efficient service for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.