Any recommendations for ESL certification schools for people with technical backgroun

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Jun 7, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I am currently a grad student studying computer science and to be truthful, it's starting to get a bit stale, I just cannot foresee myself doing this for the next 20 years. I do have a passion for traveling and recently have been considering doing some ESL(English as a second language) training courses online to try to get a certificate but I'm not quite sure where to start looking.

I would like to be able to leverage my technical background as I don't want to TOTALLY abandon the computer field and I think that such a background would really help me stand out, but I cannot seem to find any information on schools that may cater to students like myself.

Has anyone here ever taken any online ESL courses? If so where, when, and how much? Of course recommendations are always welcome!

2. dsager macrumors newbie

The New School in NY has a great ESL certification programs available options and pricing are listed on the program pages.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you want to teach abroad your best bet will probably be to find a program in a particular country that invites native English speakers to become teachers. I know that in the past there were popular programs for places like France, South Korea, and Japan.

If you don't mind the lack of pay, the Peace Corps could also be a very good alternative, especially since your technical skills could be put to good use.

I really don't think you're going to find a "dream job" that will give you extensive travel privileges outside of sales. Usually ESL teachers are most valuable when they can commit a good chunk of time, so I think that most likely you'll have to stick around in one place or another for at least a year or more.