Any recommendations for internal Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fernande-mac, Sep 4, 2009.

1. fernande-mac macrumors regular

I want to upgrade the two HDs for my PowerMac G5 (June 2004) using Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I currently have two 160GB in a RAID 0 setup. What brands/models would you suggest to use as upgrades?

Thanks!

2. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Internal or External

I am actually rethinking my backup strategy.

Back in the day, I was familiar with Maxtor, Western Digital and Seagate. However, there are so many new brands out there nowadays, I am not sure what to trust anymore.

I do understand that the bigger the HD, the higher the chance of failure. So, I am looking for reliable devices that do not break the bank.

I would like to know if you have any suggestions for internal and external HDs.

Thanks!

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

For internal usually try to go with Seagate or the WD. All drives will fail, just make sure to back up.

I have been using WD caviar blacks and never had a problem. Currently have two 640 raided. Backup is 1.5TB seagate and a 1TB seagate. Then an external 320 that came with the mac pro for offsite.

Externals I like to make my own. OWC (macsales.com) and stick one of the above in it. You get a better warranty in most cases out of the HD.

4. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

I never liked Seagate because they are very noisy. :rolleyes:

Would you use a WD Black Caviar 1TB or 2TB as an external HD? Or are you using Seagate for any particular reason?

What exactly do you get for the external drive? I was looking at "OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic™ Portable Solutions" for $84.99. Do you just stick any 3.5" HD inside it?

Thanks!

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Seagates were on sale, so thats why I bought them.

For external I would just get a WD green if its going to be for data. Don't need the speed of the black. Would be nice, but not necessary.

For the OWC, they make a couple different lines. I am ordering this one link It has firewire 400, 800, USB and esata. They have cheaper enclosures and ones for single drives.

I just bought a raid capable one so I can have a mirror for backup. I lost my work a couple years back and have gotten paranoid about it.

6. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. Good point there. I am not planning to host an FTP server or stream videos from my backup disk. :)

I am confused about this part of the description "Supports up to two 3.5" SATA I/II type 1.5TB hard disk drives".

Why is the size limited? Why could not I be able to put two 2TB HDs?

I am of the same line of thought. I bit on the paranoid side, but if your backup is not safe, then what's the point of the backup. :)

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Western Digital Caviar Black for system drives, Green for backups :)