any recommendations for iPhone insurance in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by afd, Jul 4, 2011.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 is now a year old and I have a year to go before i Can upgrade, if I lose it or break it I can't afford to replace it and so am thinking of insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I'd really like to hear from people that have had to claim, was it easy, did they pay out? Protect my bubble seems to have the cheapest and best cover but have read some negative press about claiming?

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Do you already have a housing- or car-insurance? If so, you can likely get an affordable all-risk-deal from your insurance company on your iPhone.

3. johneaston macrumors regular

My advice is don't get it. Chances of them paying out are slim and the cost of an iPhone isn't completely prohibitive.

In my opinion, insure high-cost, irreplaceable, vital things (like your car and house) not a phone.

4. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replies.

torbjoern - I have car and house insurance, but don't fancy adding my phone to them. If I had to make a claim they would put the premiums up when I have to renew.

johneaston - a 32GB iphone is £612, thats pretty prohibitive to me.

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Are you sure they would set the premiums up for your house and car insurance, if your claim was related to an all-risk insurance for the iPhone? It's a different insurance policy, remember, even if it's in the same customer portfolio. I would check this carefully if I were you.

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Check your home insurance (give them a call if necessary); mine has always (without paying extra) included up to £5000ish of portable electronics stuff away from home.

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I REALLY WOULDN'T recommend Protect Your Bubble.

If you pay monthly and make a claim, you have to pay the whole years premiums up front and a £50 excess before they'll look at your claim.

That's cheaper than buying a new phone but it's still hardly convenient to have to fork that out.

I'm looking for a new insurer too now.

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I get iPhone insurance through my bank current account.

I'm with HBOS (Ultimate Rewards) and amongst other rewards, you get mobile phone insurance. It costs £12.50, however if you pay in £1000 to the bank account every month you only pay £7.50 (i.e. you get a £5 reward).

As far as I'm aware, the excess is only £30. You also get AA breakdown cover, which I've used twice already. Other features include travel insurance and card insurance.

Check it out! Competing banks offer similar products.

Shaun.