Any Recommendations For Nikon D7000 Lenses?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kerf, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Kerf macrumors newbie

Kerf

Hey, so I bought a Nikon D7000 earlier this year and I have enjoyed it ever since, but I am quickly getting tired of the 18-105mm kit lens, its not a bad lens but I am thinking about picking up a prime lens possibly the (50mm f/1.4; the 50mm f/1.2 is a tad out of my price range). Does anybody have recommendations for any future lens purchases? I have family coming out from Indiana to my home soon, and since I live in Southern California we are doing the whole theme park shuffle thing, so any suggestions regarding an ideal lens for that situation would be greatly appreciated (I was thinking prime lens in order to be able to take photos on the darker rides, but I am sure most of you know better than I). Also take note that I'm not a professional photographer, and I only have a basic understanding of cameras and lenses, so I don't have the money to purchase a ton of expensive lenses and equipment nor the knowledge on how to use it all. Thanks.:)

2. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

(1) You're "tired" of your current lens because...?
    (2) What's your budget?

3. Kerf thread starter macrumors newbie

Kerf

(1) I guess "tired" was a poor choice of words. I am looking for a lens that can shoot fast motion in low light settings (e.g. a dark ride). I've been told that prime lenses are more efficient at doing this. I also wish to shoot video and I was taught that prime lenses are more consistent when it comes to lighting in this situation.

(2) As for my budget I would say $500 is at the top end. I know this isn't much when it comes to lenses but that's what I have right now.

Hope this helps.

4. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Look into the 35mm f/1.8 and the variety of 50mm lenses. Both the 35mm and a 50mm f/1.8 would fit within your budget, with about $150 to spare. If you only want one, go back to the photos you've taken over the past 6 months with your 18-105mm and figure out which focal length is more suitable.

Also, an external flash can very useful indoors, often more so than a faster lens, though your subjects may get annoyed by it after a while.

5. flatpicknut macrumors newbie

A 50mm 1.8 is a nice lens to have in your camera bag, but it is not a versatile lens for places like theme parks. You will want wide angle shots AND you'll want telephotos of people on the rides, and you'll be jumping back and forth between wide angles and telephotos all day. I use my 50mm when I am up close to a subject and want the tight depth of field I can get with the wide open aperture (portraiture). For most other events (high school plays without flash, parades, marching band, parties, concerts), I use the heck out of my 18-105. That is a very good piece of glass for the price. Don't underestimate your 18-105! :)

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I recommend you pick up a 30~35 mm prime: I have a Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 and it's my most-used lens on my D7000. Fortunately, I don't have any focus issues (other than picking the right AF point). I also have a 50 mm f/1.8, but that doesn't see nearly as much use.

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I don't have...but might suggest the 35mm 1.8 as it should suit your low light needs. there is a 1.4 but that is about double price.
    I'd start there as it is inexpensive (200) and a nice starter to see if you like the outcome.

8. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

+1 for the 35mm F1.8. At F4 it is incredibly sharp! :D

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I got the 50mm 1.4 with my D7000. It's rare to find myself in a situation where it's too dark to take photos. The 7000s low light capabilities with the super fast 1.4 is awesome. I mostly use the 50mm for portraits but have used it for other things as well. Love love love it!

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Prime lenses are not "more consistent when it comes to lighting"... and be it stills or video it doesn't matter. This statement doesn't even make sense. It is totally wrong.

A 50mm f1.4 is going to be pretty long on your DX body, and might not be suitable as a general use lens. Go out and try taking some pictures with your current lens, but not allowing yourself to change the zoom setting from 50mm. Try it again at 35mm, which would be a good recommendation for you (Nikon 35mm f1.8).

If you want slightly faster (and I mean slightly- 1/2 stop from 1.8 to 1.4) there is a Sigma 30mm f1.4 but I don't know the quality or the price.

11. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Constant aperture

If you are keen doing some video a constant aperture zoom could be good. Something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. That way when you zoom in on a subject / object things don't get darker as the the aperture changes like it would on your kit lens.

You could get one of those Tamron's within your budget.

12. H2Ockey macrumors regular

This very likely explains what the OP was worried about, or "heard" that primes are more consistent lighting. Where is should be constant aperture, which of course you don't need to worry about with a prime lens. Most constant aperture zooms are fairly pricey, but yeah a few good buys out there, like is suggested here.

13. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

I'll add another thumbs up for the 35mm 1.8
    It's fun, fast, and sharp. It also appears to have come back down to it's original $199 price

Currently waiting for the new version of the 50mm 1.8 to be delivered so I can't speak for that one, yet;)

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Why not just wait til prices go down. I was looking to get the Nikkor 24-70mm when I get my D7000. The 24-70mm was selling for $1200? now its like $1500-1600.

What I did when I started shooting digital was ... I either rented the lens or borrowed from a friend. This way I wasn't dropping hundreds of dollars on a lens I was going to sell 4 months later.

50mm f/1.8 is great lens. It's like they shot with back in the day. Very sharp. If you need a zoom, go with stradale33 suggestion. Or save up some more money and get Nikkor 17-55mm or 24-70mm both are great kit lenses. While you wait, learn how to use your camera.

I've gotten some great bokeh with prime lenses. Those are great. You can also consider buying used.

www.keh.com