Any recommendations for white deep/wide flat top desks?

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
Looking for something to replace my IKEA corner desk with something that is white, but is deep/wide and not a corner desk. I no longer have an IKEA local to me or within 200 miles. So I will have to order it online.

Anything reasonable as well and not pricey. Post pictures if you got them.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'd probably send you back to Ikea, look at the LINNMON table top, you can get it in white, 59 x 29.5", at close to 30" it's pretty deep.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10251352/#/20251139

You'll of course need a frame/legs/etc., I'm using the same table top (in dark blue, light natural edge) on my VIVO adjustable desk frame and it's just fantastic, and incredibly cost effective (the top is only $30-40 depending on color) and a perfect mix, but you can look into the leg/frame options from Ikea as well (if you want to source from a single supplier).

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
Definitely does, just don't have a truck or an IKEA close by since we moved. :(

So, was hoping I can order something.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
what ever you get make sure it will somehow fit through the front door etc.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
There's always Wayfair if you don't want to pay Ikea's shipping, just be wary that quality varies a lot and check the reviews extensively. You can spend as much or as little as you want there.

I will say their customer service is excellent.

Reactions: IdentityCrisis

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Cool, yeah, that's a lot like my VIVO setup, but I supplied my own desktop (I'm not even sure this model was an option when I got mine).

I've got to say, I _love_ the sit or stand option, and I specifically shopped for manual mechanisms like this one since the electric ones seem to all have issues (at 2-3X the price). I can raise/lower mine in about 30 seconds :)

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Cool, yeah, that's a lot like my VIVO setup, but I supplied my own desktop (I'm not even sure this model was an option when I got mine).

I've got to say, I _love_ the sit or stand option, and I specifically shopped for manual mechanisms like this one since the electric ones seem to all have issues (at 2-3X the price). I can raise/lower mine in about 30 seconds :)
This is the first time I've come across this model. My only gripe is the lack of a lower shelf. Which is a handy place to keep a desktop out of the way and off the floor.

jtara

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2009
Was looking for a link to current-version of the "aircraft carrier" desk from BIF that I once had. It qualifies as "deep and wide" (in spades) but doesn't qualify as affordable. The beast had a humongous full width/depth drafting drawer under the work surface. That was more than 20 years ago, so I'm sure no longer made. It had a nice assembly system with cam-locks.

But since the pictures being posted here are nowhere near what I would call "deep and wide", this one looks pretty interesting, similar size to those posted, and has some storage:

http://bifusa.com/product/moes-home-martos/

Or, a bit bigger:

http://bifusa.com/product/huppe-swan-2/

says "available in other finishes" but does not specify. I would assume to include white!

Or browse the broader selection of desks, some pretty nice designs here:

http://bifusa.com/product-category/home-office/desk/

FWIW, I currently use a frosted-glass-top "kidney-shaped" desk from Ikea. I like that it has a big well-hidden cable tray (thus frosted glass!) and adjustable height. (Not instantly adjustable, just adjustable during setup to suit one person's height need.)

Edit: I guess BDi is a spin-off from BiF that now has the office furniture lines, while BiF is refocused on home furnishings.

https://www.bdiusa.com/working

Note that they only show Apple computers. ;)

Lordy, I guess I had that desk like 35 years ago. I had it shipped to CA from MI. I had worked for a company that did drafting services for the auto industry. They were able to arrange a substantial discount. I used that desk for 25 years, until I moved to a place where it was just too big.

Trivia: I believe BiF stands for Borneo International Furniture. Originally, the wood all came from Borneo. They were flat-packing way before we had Ikea in the U.S.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
this looks very nice but keep in mind it only only rated for 88 LBS. Just thinking how stable it will be if all your computer stuff comes in at 77 Lbs and you lean on it. Your leaning just a little.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
this looks very nice but keep in mind it only only rated for 88 LBS. Just thinking how stable it will be if all your computer stuff comes in at 77 Lbs and you lean on it. Your leaning just a little.
Don't know about that desk, but I can tell you, the VIVO frame I have (rated at 132lbs) and Ikea LINNMON tabletop (rated at ~110lbs), is built like a tank, and super stable even when in standing mode (for me @ ~6-1)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Looking for something to replace my IKEA corner desk with something that is white, but is deep/wide and not a corner desk. I no longer have an IKEA local to me or within 200 miles. So I will have to order it online.

Anything reasonable as well and not pricey. Post pictures if you got them.
IMHO Houzz is going to have the best selection... 1250 white desks, ahahaha. Fortunately they also have many many tools for filtering the choices by material, cost, shape, size, etc., so you can narrow it down.

Give it a shot:
https://www.houzz.com/products/desks/finish--White

Last edited:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I know you said you don't have a truck... I have an antique drafting table. The frame is oak, but the top is white. 38" d x 72" w x 37"h Makes a good standing desk or use a drafting stool. I'm running three computers wide right now! I would be embarrassed to shoot a photo today, but I posted one a while back.

If you have a bit of DYI spirit, a sheet of white melamine board (4'x8' sheet or a 2' deep shelf by 4'-8' long, if that works) and some white edge banding to cover the raw edges can make a pretty nice desk. And most home stores will cut it to size for you! The base can be made from a couple white kitchen cabinets or a self-built wooden frame.