Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Hey everyone, I am need of something to cool my computer down when I'm using it at work and sometimes home on my lap. I do a lot of video work and this thing gets toasty, I mean real toasty! I have heard about SMC fan control but I use Windows a lot of this machine at work. I would like to be able to put it on something and put some fans on the bottom of the machine so I don't kill it.

Does anyone have a cooling pad for their machine that they could recommend me? I want to take care of my baby!

eb3604

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2007
temporarily use a inverted cookie sheet or any other metal sheet. heat transfers to the metal.

also aren't macbooks made of metal? it's getting so hot because the metal bottom is wicking the heat from the mobo and other parts.

I've used a Vantec Lapcool 3. you can get them for around 20

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'll let you guys know how it goes - I ordered the Bytecc NC-500 Aluminum Notebook Cooler - it was $32CDN delivered to my door. I had to order it, my computer was flipping out today (which I think was partially heat related and I think I was overloading it a bit with tasks).

I had to get the Bytecc because it fits a 17" - all the other ones won't fit this beast on it. I hear it's pretty cheap but I can stick some things on there and replace the fans (they are desktop computer fans) so it will take care of my :apple: baby:apple: while I'm doing heavy tasks.

Don't you know, I almost wished that I had 3gb or RAM today!

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I use one by Targus for my 15" MBP which I paid around 28 for at staples. It uses a USB Port. They also have another one with a USB Replicator to replace the USB Port it uses or you can use the ac Adaptor for 48.00. It has twin fans that spin at 1500 RPM and does a pretty good job of keeping the temp down some.

Bill.....

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
has anybody that uses "coolers" run a temperature monitoring program and compared temps under indentical loads & envoronments with or without the cooler.

I would be interested in seeing how much of an effect the different solutions provide.

Also, has anybody noticed any benefit from any of the "feet" solutions that claim the passive airflow under the laptop improves cooling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.