Any recommendations on a decent iTunes library clean-up tool?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Skinto McGinto, May 6, 2009.

1. Skinto McGinto macrumors newbie

Guys,

New MacBook owner, came over from the dark side...

Transferring over my iTunes library was simpler than I thought, however, the mess of it is a bit embarrassing.

So, is there a tool that anyone can recommend which will scan, clean, add in the album art and not mess up my library further?

Note that I've seen Tune Up, but know that it was a port over from Windows. Just looking for alternatives to updating everything manually...!

2. ricke46 macrumors member

I know iTunes can add the album artwork for you if you have an iTunes account.

Advanced > Get Album Artwork

What do you mean be scan and clean? There's a bunch of Automator actions that might do what you need it to do. Best of all, it comes with Leopard!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#automator

3. waffles123 macrumors regular

DON'T install TuneUp. It's incredibly difficult to uninstall. I hear Song Genie is very good. However, it cost $30.

4. Skinto McGinto thread starter macrumors newbie

Need to sort out the ID3 tags before getting iTunes to retrieve album art from the Apple store. Also, quite a bit of my library isn't on the Apple store - in any shape or form. :eek:

However, Amazon/Wikipedia are a good help!

Cheers for the heads up on TuneUp Media - thought as much - however, check the URL in your post for Song Genie - it's the Tune Up link! ;)

On another forum (avforums), someone has recommended to me that I should just bite the bullet and do it manually - as a lesson to myself for making a, err, pig's ear of it. After updating for an hour the other night....only 857 albums to go...err...!

Some of those do have full details - it's just the ones missing info I'm not looking forward to it...

5. waffles123 macrumors regular

:eek: LOL, thanks for telling me! Sorry about that :p

Here's the REAL link to Song Genie:

http://www.equinux.com/us/products/songgenie/index.html

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

They have an UNINSTALLER tool. It's unbelievably easy to uninstall...

7. urbancowboy35 macrumors newbie

I can also recommend CoverScout from equinux. It is a great app to find all missing album artwork. Together with SongGenie you should get a clean library in no time.

Have fun cleaning up the house!

8. pedantique macrumors newbie

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

One app I can recommend you NOT use is Tagalicious. Their RipIt product is first rate, but Tagalicious not so much.

I use MusicBrainz Picard personally. Still tedious, but pretty solid (and free)

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

TuneUp is a pain! Go read their forums. Perhaps not so much concerning uninstalling however for the functionality that is meant to do...it is terrible.