Any regrets moving from 15" to 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webtoker, Mar 9, 2010.

1. webtoker macrumors member

I know, another one of these threads. I am looking for specific input from moving from 15" to the 17". I sold my 15" 2.4ghz unibody a couple weeks ago to upgrade to a 17". Then I caught the waiting for Arrandale virus. I will either break down in the coming weeks and by a C2D 17" or the new i5/i7 will be released.

Back to my question though, anyone regretting moving to 17" from a 15"? I mostly use my laptop sitting around the house. I have a triple mon desktop setup in my home office, but at night, the last thing I want to do is sit in my office. I am wanting more screen real estate. I only travel every 3 or 4 months and I work from home. Weight and portability is less of a concern to me now. That being said, what are other users thinking that made that move?

Cal

2. icrew macrumors member

icrew

I'd say go for it--I moved from a 15" PBG4 to a 17" CD MBP about 4 years back, and have never regretted it. The 17" only weighs 20% more than the 15" and the extra screen real estate is well worth it.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm thrilled that I went from a 17" to a 15" - my machine now fits in just about any bag I have to haul around and I don't notice much of a loss of real estate.

4. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

if you're not going to be traveling with it a lot then the 17'' won't be a problem, its really not that much bigger and heavier than the 15''. That being said, I wouldn't get a 17'' if you intend on bringing it to class, work etc quite often but it sounds like you won't be.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm not sure if you've noticed my thread or not but I have just came from using a 17" uMBP.

While it is awesome on a desk (hi resolution/big screen especially in matte), I just dont like to lug it around all over campus.

The weight isnt too bad as it is only 1 lbs heavier than the 15" but the foot print (its length mostly) was inconvenient for me.

Especially when your using one of those tiny little desks at the university, the 15" would be the biggest size that I'd ever use.

Oh one thing about the hi resolution screen is that, while it is gorgeous I still do not think that a 1920x1200 resolution should be used on a 17". It makes text size way too small and you find yourself squinting at times and getting close to the 17" screen quite often. That adds to the already neck cramping issues that the notebooks create.

But one huge reason I wanted a smaller resolution screen is due to flash. I have to do alot of online course tutorials/assignments and they are all using flash and the bad part is that you cannot resize the text on flash (like you can with any other webpage under safar/firefox with the simple pinching on the multitouch trackpad). So the tiny text just gave me headaches and I couldnt wait to go home to work on my assignments on the 24" LED ACD external display instead of the 17" uMBP's screen.

If anything I think the 15" seems to be the right size/weight/speed! 13" seems like a real good option as well but I do miss the dedicated GPU which does give you a better experience under SL with the faster non stuttering spaces (I use 4 spaces).

6. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

Thanks for posting this question, I am on a 2008 15in MBP and considering getting a 17" MBP once they release new ones.

Please anyone else who has made this jump please post your thoughts I am interested to hear as well.

When I bought my 15" I went that route due to the fact that I was traveling a lot. Now I use my laptop at home and work and only bring it back and forth. I too would like the extra screen real estate and higher resolutions offered by the 17"

7. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I've had a 14" iBook, a 15" Classic MBP, and a 15" uMBP. Now Apple is replacing it with a 17", and I'll be getting it within a few days, so I'll let you know how this forced change feels to me! I think I'm going to enjoy it. I don't take my mac with me very often where it would get in the way, and I dislike being confined to a desk at home, which is why I never bought an external display. I also prefer smaller text (I zoom out on webpages one notch), so the resolution on the 17" should be awesome.

8. webtoker thread starter macrumors member

Perfect! Looking forward to your insight.

9. highscheme macrumors regular

This may not be a concern of the OP, but for thoroughness of information, the 17" MBP is the only current Macbook with an Express Card slot.

If you need a separate bus for an audio interface and external HD, the 17" is the only way to go.

Pretty ridiculous that they don't have it in the 15" and even the 13".

10. webtoker thread starter macrumors member

I purchased my 15" unibody when it was released and it was nice having the express slot. I was very surprised when they removed it in June. Pulls it closer towards the Macbook line.

11. highscheme macrumors regular

yeah, I mean most people have no use for it, but making everyone who *does* have a use for it go for the 17" is pretty absurd. Especially, when the graphics/audio/video guy who need it are the ones who stuck by Apple through the years.

Then again they only had a Matte screen on the 17" for awhile, so I am hoping they come to their senses and bring back the card slot in the smaller ones (hell add one to the 13"!)

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I just upgraded from an older model MBP 17" to a new 17", I love the screen on it! and I really wanted the express card slot for the Transcend SSD so that I can enable Windows 7 ReadyBoost.. I'm wrestling with the idea though because does it really carry a huge advantage over a high capacity thumb drive for the premium?

13. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

That's actually the only reason Apple is replacing my 15" with a 17". My 15" has the ExpressCard slot, and I use it.

I have a 16GB Lexar SSD ExpressCard, and I read somewhere that it only goes as fast as USB. I think because they're all just actually flash memory, and I know most run off USB. I didn't look into it much since I only paid $5 for the thing and therefore didn't care. I just love that I can have it in my mac and it's flush with the side. No thumb drive sticking out.

14. revs macrumors regular

As mentioned above, with ExpressCards you need to make sure they are not ones that actually use USB, as they are slow. If they are 'proper' ExpressCards (e.g. SolidGo FileMate) then they are much much faster

15. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I have a 15" and I am thinking about switching to a 17" myself when they are updated. Smaller is better if you are traveling a lot and/or using your laptop in cramped areas like a classroom or airplane. Otherwise I think the extra screen real estate is worth a small increase in weight and size.

16. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

This is where I stand, and the price difference is not huge either so why not!

17. polotska macrumors 6502

Have had both. The 17" was just too big to carry around, and for my work the larger screen wasn't necessary, so I prefer the 15" (and 13" for that matter).

18. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

it makes me sad that the general consinsous is that they are too large to carry around. I say this because i have a sr 15 in that apple needs to replace, and i can get the 17 in because of the expresscard slot. Oh well. I guess i'll get the medium grade 15 in instead

19. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

The consensus here seems to be that the 17 inch is the way to go unless you have to take your laptop on the road a lot. I agree. My first Mac was a 17 inch Powerbook G4 that I bought in 2003. I was only taking a few trips a year, so it was perfect for me. That's why, when the PB G4 was 5 years old and it was time to upgrade, I bought another 17 inch. This time I got a 2.4Ghz MBP. I have loved them both. They weigh only 2 pounds more than than the 15 inch MBP. When I travel, I carry my 17 inch MBP in a commodious Brenthaven bag that I bought for the MB G4. Fortunately, the two boxes are exactly the same size and weight. I wouldn't want to haul it around all day, every day, even in its convenient bag, but it's perfect for the occasional trip.