Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbenji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Hi :)

In short: does anyone has/know a reliable usb-c hub with 3 USB 3.0 and PD?

*single USB 3.0 for SDD, two usb 2.0

Last edited:

mbenji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Lenovo C112

Works a treat, pretty cheap, very good build quality.
Thanks! It looks like the most reliable hub out there, I just wish it had 87W pass through charging.

Is there anything reliable with 87W PD?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Unless you have a 100w charger, not going to get 87w pass-through as all hubs will consume 15-20w to drive the ports on the hub. I guess the hubs might negotiate with the Mac re: how much more power the hub can supply when nothing plugged in, getting one to the 87 if just charging.

If you want full 87w AND ports, need to probably start looking at external powered hubs, like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Cha...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078J7FSWM

mbenji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Unless you have a 100w charger, not going to get 87w pass-through as all hubs will consume 15-20w to drive the ports on the hub. I guess the hubs might negotiate with the Mac re: how much more power the hub can supply when nothing plugged in, getting one to the 87 if just charging.

If you want full 87w AND ports, need to probably start looking at external powered hubs, like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Cha...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B078J7FSWM
Thanks, a hub with 87W or even 100W would pass enough, I think.. and if not I can always add another charger.

There are some 100W hubs such as the HooToo ones, I am wondering how reliable they are, anyone with HooToo here?

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
OWC products are typically slightly overpriced, but they have a pretty solid track record of quality. Here is their USB-C dock. I bought it. I think it arrived today, actually, so I'll take a look at it tonight when I'm home from work!

Also interested in this one, but apparently it does not work with the macbook pro in clamshell mode .. (some comments about that on Amz and other sites), is it really the case ?

that would be a no show for me, as it is the primary way I use my mac at desk ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.