Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
I'll be going in tomorrow after hopefully reserving a 128gb IP6s Plus. I've read all the debate and I'd prefer if it were a TSMC but I've read of people exchanging multiple times to get one. I live about 90 miles from the store so that won't be possible.

Are the TSMC concentrated to certain areas of the country or ?? I see there is no way to tell from a sealed box apparently.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Given the choice I'd take a TSMC.
I have a Samsung.
There's no way of telling from the box, you need to power up the phone and download an app to inform you which processor you have.
If your phone is fault-free and you like it then don't bother exhanging trying to get a TSMC chip because you'll run into potential genuine faults.

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
I'll be going in tomorrow after hopefully reserving a 128gb IP6s Plus. I've read all the debate and I'd prefer if it were a TSMC but I've read of people exchanging multiple times to get one. I live about 90 miles from the store so that won't be possible.

Are the TSMC concentrated to certain areas of the country or ?? I see there is no way to tell from a sealed box apparently.

I am on my third iPhone 6s Plus. If you get a phone which has no defects consider yourself lucky. My first iPhone had a TSMC chip, what good is that if I have a dark blotch on the bottom left of my screen.. The next iPhone also had a TSMC chip, however, this phone had massive curtain bleeding from the top of the screen and the same dark blotch on the bottom left. My third phone was the best of the bunch, it didn't have the dark blotch, the only thing it had was very minor curtain bleeding at the top of the screen, it also happens to have a Samsung chip. Am I returning it? definitely not playing the exchange game when there is far worse things to have than a Samsung chip. Having used both the TSMC & Samsung chips I haven't noticed any significant differences in battery life.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Approx 3-1 chance of getting a Samsung.
I agree.

My first 6S plus was a

Agreed.

My first 6S plus was a TSMC. Got it preorder from Apple (paid full price $850) directly launch day. I sold it for family discount to my brother. It has outstanding battery life. 10-11 hours easily super heavy use

Since I have Verizon and ATT. When Verizon announced raising prices of unlimited. I quickly ordered 6S 4.7 inch from Best Buy loophole $299. That phone had Samsung chip. Got around 7 hours super heavy use but it's the smaller battery so hard to tell since 5.5 has bigger battery.

Got bored of 4.7 inch and wanted to go back to 5.5 inch phone. So yesterday got 6S plus again full price $850. Found out it was a Samsung chip. Charged up fully. Ran real racing 3 game for 1 hour. Ran Apple maps for 1 hour. 6 hours of movies straight 40-50% brightness. 6S plus phone was dead in 8 hours.

It's a signicant difference between the Samsung chip and the TSMC chip. 11 hours vs 8 hours super heavy use.

I returned phone this morning. Got another Samung chip again. But before I could even test battery. Tried to eject nano sim. And phone has defect where the nano sim is incredibly tight to eject and the nano sim gets stuck. We all know it can ruin the sim slot if SIM card get stuck and u use force. I finally wiggled it out

Went back to Apple Store to get a replacement. Apple Store reps were able to replicate my complaints that phone has defect in sim slot. Gave me another phone. Still slight defect in sim slot. They than ejected nano sim in their demo phones and none of them had the issues I had. So the store got a bad batch of phones. I just said i would deal with it while I order another phone online.

The manger was very nice. She said just use the phone until I get new one shipped from China since that was 3 phones in a row with defect.

And than I get home and again. Samsung chip! I will run battery test in "my real life usage" with the phone while i wait to November 11-15 for my new iPhone to come and I will compare than.

Reactions: g75d3

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Given the choice I'd take a TSMC.
I have a Samsung.
There's no way of telling from the box, you need to power up the phone and download an app to inform you which processor you have.
If your phone is fault-free and you like it then don't bother exhanging trying to get a TSMC chip because you'll run into potential genuine faults.

Actually, you don't need the app. All you have to do is run your battery to ZERO and then charge it until you can turn back on and check the error log under diagnostics buried in one of the settings (I forget where - notifications?). It will tell you what chip you have. Same codes appear as the app.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you get one with a good screen temperature, no Touch ID problems, good battery life, and overall stability you win.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I agree.

My first 6S plus was a

Agreed.

My first 6S plus was a TSMC. Got it preorder from Apple (paid full price $850) directly launch day. I sold it for family discount to my brother. It has outstanding battery life. 10-11 hours easily super heavy use

Since I have Verizon and ATT. When Verizon announced raising prices of unlimited. I quickly ordered 6S 4.7 inch from Best Buy loophole $299. That phone had Samsung chip. Got around 7 hours super heavy use but it's the smaller battery so hard to tell since 5.5 has bigger battery.

Got bored of 4.7 inch and wanted to go back to 5.5 inch phone. So yesterday got 6S plus again full price $850. Found out it was a Samsung chip. Charged up fully. Ran real racing 3 game for 1 hour. Ran Apple maps for 1 hour. 6 hours of movies straight 40-50% brightness. 6S plus phone was dead in 8 hours.

It's a signicant difference between the Samsung chip and the TSMC chip. 11 hours vs 8 hours super heavy use.

I returned phone this morning. Got another Samung chip again. But before I could even test battery. Tried to eject nano sim. And phone has defect where the nano sim is incredibly tight to eject and the nano sim gets stuck. We all know it can ruin the sim slot if SIM card get stuck and u use force. I finally wiggled it out

Went back to Apple Store to get a replacement. Apple Store reps were able to replicate my complaints that phone has defect in sim slot. Gave me another phone. Still slight defect in sim slot. They than ejected nano sim in their demo phones and none of them had the issues I had. So the store got a bad batch of phones. I just said i would deal with it while I order another phone online.

The manger was very nice. She said just use the phone until I get new one shipped from China since that was 3 phones in a row with defect.

And than I get home and again. Samsung chip! I will run battery test in "my real life usage" with the phone while i wait to November 11-15 for my new iPhone to come and I will compare than.

Unless you test both phones whilst running the same apps and durations etc you can't tell. Just because you got 10-11 hours of 'super heavy use' on one but then only 8 on the other it doesn't tell you or us anything. I can run my 6S+ down in 8 hours too, or I can eek it out for over 11 hours. Did you do exactly the same things on both phones and for exactly the same length of time, whilst on the same carrier and in the same location at the same time? It strikes me that you didn't.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Unless you test both phones whilst running the same apps and durations etc you can't tell. Just because you got 10-11 hours of 'super heavy use' on one but then only 8 on the other it doesn't tell you or us anything. I can run my 6S+ down in 8 hours too, or I can eek it out for over 11 hours. Did you do exactly the same things on both phones and for exactly the same length of time, whilst on the same carrier and in the same location at the same time? It strikes me that you didn't.

I didn't have the chance to fully test it out. Like i said. The phones have defective sim slot. I have 4 lines personally myself and constantly switch sims between my Verizon and att phones. I carry 3 phones any given day. 2 for personal and 1 for work.

So the phones got my nano sim stuck multiple times trying to eject it. It's not a smooth eject process. I am literally on my 3rd phone in past 24 hours.

Same Samsung chip on all phones.

I will keep this one until new one comes from China. It's a bad batch of phones with defective sim slots the Apple Store got. Pointless to keep exchanging it.

I actually ask if I could have a refurbished phone and they wouldn't let me exchange it for a refurb model.

We will see how the Samsung chip performs under my normal usage this week.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Not this crap again!! :rolleyes:

Sigh, yes.

Tom's Hardware found the Samsung chip to be a smidgen more efficient; others found TSMC more efficient... and those seem to be winning the battle of PR. It's all really quite ridiculous IMHO. I'd rather my dollars not go to sleazy Samsung but if that's what my phone has, big whoop. It works well, the battery lasts a long time, and it does everything I ask it to.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Oh my god, how many of these threads need to be closed before this nonsense stops. Stop feeding this idiotic question. It doesn't amount to a hill of bean. Thousand posts later on multiple closed threads the general consensus is stop asking this question. No one answer this any other way, you here me, just don't! ( How is my Lewis Black imitation?)

For a day and a half of reading pleasure, refer to the 10 threads already closed on this subject.

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
6s plus reserved on my way to the 'big city' lol

The easiest way to get over this issue is to remain blissfully ignorant and NEVER check what chip you have. That way you'll enjoy the phone without caring that you have a Samsung or TSMC. I reckon a lot of the issue is a placebo caused by people thinking that because they've got a Samsung, they will have bad battery life.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It seems like Apple has ramped up the amount of Samsung-manufactured A9s compared to TSMC since launch. My first (received on launch day) was a TSMC, followed by two subsequent Samsung chips on iPhones of later production dates. I have excepted the fact that I am stuck with a Samsung-manufactured chip on my week 41 6s+

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This is my first full day with my Samsung A9 iPhone 6S plus. Down to 39% at 330pm eastern time. Usually I am at around 50%.

And yes this is a typical real day usage pattern for me including the 1% no cell phone coverage. Hospital has bad coverage.

Normally I can make it 10-11 hours.

At this pace I will be at 0% on the Samsung iPhone around 8-9 hours

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image.png
    image.png
    329.4 KB · Views: 143

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I know people say there's barely any difference, but there is a rumor that Apple is going to use exclusively TSMC for the A10 chip.
I think it was the first time that they had dual sourced chips iirc. Going with one provider eliminates any future controversy.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Someone on another forum has exchanged seventeen times trying to get a TSMC...and every single one has been a Samsung.o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.