Any Risks on Ripping DVD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by penter, Jul 7, 2007.

1. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Hello,
    I have begun to rip my small DVD collection with Handbrake, but one thing is worrying me....
    The disk drive makes quite a bit of noise as it reads and rips my DVDs into my HD. I am sure that this is a normal behavior, but i cant help but wonder if my drive can become damaged after such strenuous and continuous use (around 5 hours for each DVD).
    Could anyone please tell me if I risk the life of my disk drive by subjecting it to such use????

edit: what about law infringement issues???

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Unless there's something wrong with the drive itself, there's zero risk to the disk using Handbrake.

3. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

well, not to the disk itself, of course, but what about the disk drive??

i remember reading somewhere in macrumors of someone who mentioned that he/she didnt want to "use up" and ruin his disk drive, thats why i ask.

thnx for the reply, btw.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

besides making the Movie industries mad and coming after you with legal attack dogs (lawyers), your fine, HD's were made to do this kind of stuff.

edit: to respond to your post, drives were designed to do this. They will die eventually, but it won't prevent death by not using it.

5. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

about those legal attack dogs..... i thought it was legal if you owned the DVD and just wanted to back it up in your computer, or watch it on itunes on the go.
    wouldnt that mean that Handbrake and other riping software would be therefore illegal as well???

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Whilst it depends on your location, this is 99.9% legal. :)

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

in the USofA, handbreak is illegal to use, because you the css copy protection. which is a crime due to the DMCA.

On top of all this, they are trying to propose new laws that make pretty much the thought or planning of dvd ripping a crime. So say you had dvd ripping software, and a dvd you could be jailed and/or fined for it.

8. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

No way!!!! ok, my DVD ripping stops NOW!!
    I keep seeing the names "Handbrake" and "Mac the Ripper" being thrown about on MacRumors like there's no tomorrow. Why should this software be so easily accesible???

9. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

You really shouldn't worry about the DMCA coming after you for ripping your own DVDs. Yes, technically, it is illegal. However, if you own the DVD, are ripping it for your own use and not selling copies, and aren't downloading anything, nobody is going to come and get you. It's ridiculous for the DMCA to think that they can prosecute someone for backing up what they own and have paid for.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ohh no im sorry I didn't mean to scare you.
    the post above and quote below explains why.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

As for whether or not this will "use up" your drive - that's nonsense. I would imagine that most mechanical devices have a "mean time to failure," but using it like this isn't a big deal.

If you're going to use HandBrake, most people will recommend using MacTheRipper first to rip the DVD, and HandBraoke on the image that MTR spits out. That will likely reduce the amount of "wear" on the drive, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it either way.