Any risks with buying iPhone 5S sealed in box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiImBrandon, Mar 5, 2015.

1. HiImBrandon macrumors newbie

Alright, I was looking on Craigslist for my girlfriend since she broke her old 5 and I came across a sealed in box Verizon iPhone 5S. I know buying off Craigslist is at my own risk, but I would at least like to take an informed risk if I decide to. I asked and they don't even know if it's silver or space grey (I'm assuming it isn't gold based on the picture on the box) and that seems a little sketchy. I don't know anyone who buys a phone and doesn't know what color it is, but to each his own. Is there any risk with buying a phone like this? Is there any way it can be blacklisted if the box has never been opened? And is there a possibility it's been opened and someone resealed the box in plastic? Also, I thought Verizon normally makes people open and activate the phone while in the store? These are my only paranoid questions. It's for a damn good price so I don't want to miss out on it if there's no risk in buying one that is still sealed.

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Hmm seems fishy to not be able to disclose what color the phone is to you. How do you not tell a potential buyer what color of phone they are purchasing?

All of those scenarios you mentioned are possible. If the phone were shipped to someone in the mail, it could have just been left sealed and never opened and activated, but as you said, it is also possible that someone just re-shrink wrapped it, although not sure how easy that is to do.

What I would do is offer cash, and meet up somewhere public, if he offers to send in the mail dont do it, if he asks to have you wire him money or pay something up front, im sure youre smart enough not to do that either.

I'm unsure if a sealed phone could be blacklisted, unless someone stole it while was still sealed then I suppose someone could lock it. So if you do agree to buy, explain that you want to buy it and activate it before giving him the money. If it's a stolen phone, he will most likely just stop writing back to you.

Do you mind me asking, how much are they asking? Swappa.com is a safe and totally legit way of purchasing used or even brand new sealed iPhones for great prices. Craigslist also has some good deals, but you just never know, lots of scams on there. Be cautious, you dont want to purchase a stolen or broken phone and lose all that money.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The phone could still be stolen and blacklisted. Perhaps stolen from the retail store, or stolen by a rogue UPS driver who knew what was in the package, or someone mugged walking out of an Apple Store. Who knows. But there are still risks with buying a sealed phone. And if the price is too good to be true, then it probably is.

4. ET iPhone Home, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Just be careful, because do-it-yourself package sealers can be had right at home. Trust! your instincts.
    [​IMG]

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

How can he not know what color it is from the box? There's a picture of the phone on the box.

Ask him for the IMEI and run it on www.swappa.com to see what the status of the device is. The IMEI is on the back of the box.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

He's ironing some tinfoil. Why?#

7. AAPLinc, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

EDIT: Original pic edited, lol.

8. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Wants flat foil?

Severe case of ocd?

9. HiImBrandon thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do. He/she said this when I asked if they had the receipt. "Okay will do. & No what happened was I had a 5 and it broke but my insurance was out of the 5 so they sent me a brand new 5s but I wanted a 6 so I bought the 6 and they still sent me the 5s and Verizon told me I could sell it."
    Does that story sound legit? How do they not have 5'a anymore?

10. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

There is a picture of the phone on the front of the box. The color is shown, if they can't tell then odds are its not in a retail box.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

Because he doesn't know the difference between that and aluminum foil.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yea that sounds rather weird to me. Verizon knowing that they sent the wrong phone and telling him he can sell it?

I would stay away.

13. HiImBrandon thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm leaning towards. It does have a clean IMEI though. I might take a look and go with my gut.

14. ET iPhone Home, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Wrong link…re-edited. But you get my point. There are so many scammers out there that machines to reseal an apple box can be had online.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know someone who bought a sealed box on CL and the iPhone was not inside.
    She got scammed. The guy told her he can't open it and show it cause then it would be considered used and lose value. Took the money and she got scammed. Beware.
    Never buy a sealed box and give them the money before you open it and thoroughly test it out to make sure everything works, there's no liquid damage and activates and makes calls with your sim.