Any Rumor if iPad wifi only will get a GPS?

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I was wondering if the iPad wifi only will get a GPS? It would sure be nice to use it with my mobile mifi that I have. I do have another tablet that has it in it and it worked great on a trip that I took today. Just wondering.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Very unlikely. The GPS is part of the cellular radio. I believe this is how it has been for every iDevice.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Very unlikely. The GPS is part of the cellular radio. I believe this is how it has been for every iDevice.
+1. Take a look at history.

From a marketing standpoint it would greatly increase the appeal of the device.
Has appeal been an issue with the iPad?

I think they can use the location of the Wi-Fi hotspot or router.
Of course you can. However, such methods of determining location aren't as accurate.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I wifi only tablet can have a separate gps chip, but it won't be assisted gps like the I devices are, still it could in theory be done in software with skyhook database and a wifi connection, but it's not true assisted gps like apples. I've tried it on playbook and it can at times be slow to acquire a lock.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
From a marketing standpoint it would greatly increase the appeal of the device. Many consumers would love to have an 8" GPS device.
The problem is that for most things you'd use the GPS chip for (mainly mapping i guess, maybe a sat nab kinda thing) you are likely to be out and about and without 3G it can't load a map to render. You could get your coordinates but not be able to do much with them. If you want/need it on an iPad springing for the 3G model is the only real option and I can't see that changing.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
The problem is that for most things you'd use the GPS chip for (mainly mapping i guess, maybe a sat nab kinda thing) you are likely to be out and about and without 3G it can't load a map to render. You could get your coordinates but not be able to do much with them. If you want/need it on an iPad springing for the 3G model is the only real option and I can't see that changing.
While I agree for the most part, it is still a possibility in that there are GPS options that host the maps locally on the device. However I admit that given the small flash capacities that the iPad Mini is likely to debut with, this is not an ideal solution.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There are plenty of offline navigation apps available to use with a GPS equipped device. If started without a WiFi connection to get assistance, they'll simply have the same startup speed as a car GPS.

Also, not all WiFi hotspots have been mapped to a location, so it's handy that most Android tablets include GPS. (Except the super cheaper book reader versions, of course.)

However, Apple does not have a history of including GPS in its base devices, starting with the first iPhone, to the iPod touch, to the non-3G/4G iPads.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Using OMaps, I can store whole of Edinburgh in 2GB's.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Come on...

If it's WiFi only, it's not GPS capable.

Sorry.

It can approximate location based on local maps, but it can't do what GPS does.