Any rumors about Elgato EyeTV update at Macworld 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, Nov 29, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I've been looking at buying Elgato's EyeTV 250 plus. While researching I saw that they sometimes release new products/updates at Macworld.

Anyone hear anything about an EyeTV update coming up?
    I'm not sure what they would add... anyone care to speculate?

I'm not in a hurry to buy it, so I figured I might as well wait until January and see if anything happens.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. All I saw was that they are going to have a booth there. Did I miss something?

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well if they're having a booth that could mean they're going to update new products, but I wouldn't hold out for anything exciting, if anything it'll just be spec bumps to what they already have out, maybe price drops...

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Maybe they will stop supporting analog TV, which goes off in Feb 2009, and the they could eliminate the circuitry that supports analog and lower prices.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The chips required for analog are now so cheap I very much doubt the price will go down by much, if anything...

7. macffooky macrumors regular

That would be a rather US-centric approach for a company with a pretty much worldwide market.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Very true. Canada doesn't switch over for another few years. Besides, don't you need analog to record from a VCR?

9. kolax macrumors G3

Would be nice if they released their franchise product the HDHomeRun to Europe. I'd love to be able to use this network TV tuner.

Either that, or a brand new product that is a network tuner (ethernet) that is essentially a mini computer; built in hard drive for recording. That way, I don't need to have my Mac on to record stuff/use my Mac's hard drive as a buffer.

Of course, I'd plug this into my Airport Extreme and watch TV wirelessly over 802.11n (unsupported with the HDHomeRun but apparently works really well - flawless reports).