Any rumors about the next MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genome2k, Oct 20, 2010.

1. genome2k macrumors member

The Back to Mac is really a disappointment.

According to the Buyers guide the new MBP is due. And there were also earlier rumors about the new MBP with a CPU update in late 2010

I need a MBP 17 and have been waiting for the new release. It turns out there is nothing coming up recently.

Therefore what I want to know is what will be likely true for the next update?

---1. the previously rumored Core i7-640M (2.80 GHZ but can be "turbo boosted" to 3.46 Ghz)

---2. a Sandy Bridge new Class of CPU.

I've heard people saying if it is the SB then the update is unlikely to come soon -- maybe we will have to wait until next January.

Look i am no CPU geek. I have no idea what the Sandy Bridge platform will bring to the next MBP, comparing to the current i7 2.66 GHz on MBP 17?

If the performance boost won't be that dramatic I guess i can stop the itching by purchasing a current model right now. But if it's gonna be a huge update, i guess it's would be wise to wait.

So people could you comment:

1. What is more likely for the next MBP update: the currently Core i7 with a clock update (ie. the Core i7-640M or similar); or the brand new Sandy Bridge?

2. could you comment on the likely extent of performance stepping-up of the Core i7-640M, and the Sandy Bridge, comparing to the current i7 2.66? Will they worth the wait?

Thanks for your opinions

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7-640M is already available for extra 200$, take a look at the Apple Store. The next update will obviously be Sandy Bridge sometime in early 2011. It will be nice but if you don't do anything intensive, go ahead and buy one now

3. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I've been waiting a while to get a MBP basic 13 inch for a while, and was hopefully going to get one next week, however after today I just can't risk getting oneas I have a feeling it ill be underpowerd for Lion, and not only that but I think it may follow Air's path and have the new slope design and possibly flash.

4. genome2k thread starter macrumors member

Yes Thanks I have seen that stealth update too.

So next one will be Sandy Bridge for sure. But you believe the update for SB will be in early 2011 rather than "mid-2011"?

But I am still wondering, how dramatic SB will be in terms of performance boost?
    If that will be huge than it worths the wait (but only for Jan 2011 .. i wont wait if we shall expect it for "mid-2011")

5. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Well I bought a macbook pro 13 yesterday. I'll upgrade it to a ssd next year and enjoy it. It's not worth the suffering waiting and waiting and waiting.

6. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

10-15% performance increase per clock supposedly.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've read a lot of articles lately that suggest that you'll really appreciate the faster disk a lot more than the (relatively modest) speed bumps for CPUs, unless you're just doing a lot of CPU-bound processing.

I've been waiting to upgrade my early 2008 MacBook to a MacBook Pro, and given the lack of updates today I think I'll go ahead get the stock 15" model but replace its hard drive with a Seagate Momentus XT.

8. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

optical drive = no slope
    solid state = less capacity

lion will run fine.

you'll be more disappointed if you wait.

jmo

9. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Thanks for making us feel better about our purchase. :rolleyes:

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

OS lion doesn't seem to be much more power/spec hungry than snow leopard. It looks a lot like snow leopard, but apple is including iOS features on it. So, I don't see how OS lion will not run well on MBA. But, I am waiting until next year for spec bump.

11. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

why the sarcasm? i was agreeing with you to the guy wanting to wait incase someday they come out with some sort of air/pro hybrid.

12. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Ok sorry for the sarcasm. It's just that every time I buy an Apple product, a new shiny one gets released and the inevitable cycle of envy begins again.

13. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Great, only MBA, woo hoo wait more...

Great, the bulk of "Back to the Mac" was on software. iLife looks great, but should not constitute a majority of the show. Lion looks great as well, can't wait for that. Hopefully more details come through as months go on; such as more gpu driven performance like was demonstrated in snow leopard. However, the only hardware was for Macbook Air. There are likely more users of the macbook and macbook pro, than of the air. A 2.8ghz speed bump barely counts. Whatever the wait, likely mbp being only 6 months old, and Sandy Bridge on the way does make sense, Apple surely better kick it in to high gear for great upgrades. SSD, HDD,Price, GPU- a real high powered card, maybe even 1G vram option.

Guess we all shall just keep our eyes on the buyers guide and rumors till then. Just hope nothing extreme update time wise like with the air occurs( meaning waiting until March or later) By the way, yes many of you will say, & I agree, if you NEED it buy now. I do not need it now, nor can afford one soundly yet, but by Thanksgiving- Christmas sure hope to have hints of timing and upgrades. Another live keynote would be a great start to the year.

14. robertbrian23 macrumors member

it seems that Lion would be by summer '11 so i believe the MBP would be on the same date. i think.

15. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'd abandon ship if Apple decided to merge the design of a Pro and an Air together. It'd be a disastrous idea. Lion is already repulsive as it is shown in the preview. I hope the new MacBook Pros are released before Lion ships.

16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would expect the 13" MBP to get the same screen as the MBA. I don't think Apple will do an update until they can get away from core 2 duo.

17. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Sandy Bridge
    (it has new Intel HD graphics that is 2x better,
    so you don't need to run NVIDIA all the time to eliminate the lags)
    and NVidia - new fast GPUs
    free iLife 2011 and free upgrade to Mac OS X Lion

Late Jan/Early Feb :apple:

Just three months to wait

18. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

can we expect the same flash storage on the mbp?

19. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

..he will need Jedi power to see that difference ...:D

20. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Yup, the update i'm waiting for is the one after Sandy Bridge, because that is when we will actually have quad cores in the MBP. That is if i correctly remember reading that Ivy Bridge will make quad core processors the bare minimum.

21. kingsal macrumors member

I didn't know Apple followed the MacRumors Buyer's guide in deciding when to update their products. I thought it was the other way around...

22. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

that would be ridiculous. unless flash storage comes down in price an insane amount, definitely not.

23. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Need $899 13" Mac Book Pro

I need a 13" $899 MBP with an i5 processor, but fanboys will force a four foot stream of Steve Jobs urine from between their teeth and call me a troll if I ask for that.
    --

24. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Like.

Best laugh I've had all day!

25. gremond macrumors newbie

Now that we've seen what they can fit in the air case, the next mbp update for the 13 should bring something great.. the cpu update is vital and a further differentiation between the products, so i guess i' ll hold on for that one.. The 1440x900 screen is probably going to be included in the 13 mbp... the only thing is i wish i knew when the next update is coming..