Any "Rumors" about when the Proximity sensor will be fixed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamonster, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

Got a call from a buddy and I thought he made a butt call but I guess he could here me just fine, I must have pressed a button and didn't know it.

Last night I was talking with my sister on the front porch at night for about an hour and my phone was like watching the fire fly's going on and off. I've learned to hold it so my face doesn't touch the phone but I would like to be able to hold it like my 3g and 3gs and not have to play games just to use my phone.

So what's the latest rumor about when or if they are going to fix this issue? I've let it go pass my 30 day return and this is my second phone so I'm pretty much stuck with the 4 for now.

2. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I need this fixed very soon, it's driving me and everyone else I talk to crazy.

I've had 3 different iPhone 4's and all were replaced because of the proximity sensor problem. The one I have now has the problem also and I cannot stand it much longer. I hang up on my wife EVERY SINGLE CALL unless I put her on speaker phone.

I am beginning to wonder if they can fix this with a software update and I'm thinking of getting rid of the phone. I cannot make many calls without dialing someone else, hanging up on them, or putting them on mute/hold.

I also have other problems where I make phone calls and it will just say it's calling the person and it never actually connects however the END button its completely gone and you can't END the phone call, its like its transparent.

UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

ME too I have complained to the store which tell me to wait for software fix to calling apple and complaining. SO they KNOW the proximity sucks on the the 4.

4. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

Lol mine doesn't have thus issue, good lick getting a fix for this lmao, just return the phone it's obviously a major fault in some units

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I have a friend that has had the proximity sensor problem. He updated to 4.1 beta 3 and told me he no longer has the problem.
    I'm not saying that it is the fix, just what he told me after using it for a week. So it might be the answer you're looking for.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well my brother, a ip4 beta tester, said to me today that 4.1 beta 3 had no long term affect for the prox. sensor problem. He noticed the problem did stop for a few hours, but after making calls of 10 minutes or longer, the problem returned.

Sorry, maybe he's wrong, but I doubt it. More and more it looks like a hardware issue.

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

I've only ever once had the screen turn on while on a call with the phone at my ear...but my face was nowhere near the screen. unlike some people, I dont mash the phone on the side of my face when talking. When the screen came on, I took it away from my head and then back and it worked again and went off.

8. Lamonster thread starter macrumors regular

Lamonster

So I guess I haven't missed any rumors or announcements about when or if they are going to fix this. Almost makes be wish I would have waited for the DroidX but I love everything else about my ip4.

9. MacJones macrumors 6502

Not every phone has the issue. I have never experienced this problem on my week 30 iPhone 4. Just got to the Apple store and have them replace it.

10. filmation macrumors newbie

It is driving me nuts as well -- three times now I have called someone else while talking to someone. Yeesh.

11. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

12. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

I haven't had the issue with my week 27 phone.

13. solius macrumors regular

I have a launch phone which has the proximity issue but I honestly don't understand how you guys have so many dropped calls because of it. I have noticed my screen flashing on and off during calls sometimes but I have never had a call get muted on accident or get dropped. It's just not that big of a deal though a fix would be nice its not exactly a deal breaker for me.

14. Lamonster thread starter macrumors regular

Lamonster

I had one phone replaced already. When I drove 80 miles one way to my Apple store they would not replace it because they said there was a software update coming that would fix it. I have no problem having it replaced if it fixes the problem but right now I can't have it replaced and I don't see any talk of a software fix these days.

15. jipp0 macrumors newbie

Not a problem here either, proximity sensor works exactly like it should.
    Week 32 iP4.

16. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs addressed this during the antenna press conference. It's a known problem and it's software related, the fix is being worked on, chill out. If it's killing you that much just return it.

17. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

If I cover the sensor on my iPhone 4, the screen immediately goes dark. Uncover it and the screen immediately "turns on" again. I guess, I don't have the problem?

18. max-power macrumors member

Where is the sensor?

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

it's not software...not everyone has this "problem"

20. ScKcBc macrumors regular

mine has this problem on 4 out of 5 calls, so annoying

21. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

try and clean your greasy reflective face and ear, nobody I know has these "issues" with their ip4s.

22. Lamonster thread starter macrumors regular

Lamonster

Didn't help, got more great suggestions? :rolleyes:

23. shadygrove macrumors regular

I have this problem but it usually goes back to how I am holding the phone. If I hold the phone up to my ear and keep it stable I really don't have an issue. But what's annoying is when I am walking or holding the phone with my shoulder or my right hand (my left ear is the only one the work) do I have a problem, but the problem happens pretty reliably. If it's not ATT dropping the call, it's the person hanging up because I put them hold or myself on mute and they thought the call was dropped.

Certainly a real problem here. I love my iPhone and so my girlfriend, but we both hate the proximity sensor issue the most as if the dropped called weren't enough. And anyone saying "problem" or it doesn't exist doesn't know the full the issue. Apple has said there is a software fix for this coming. I don't see why a company would say a fix is coming for a problem that doesn't exist.

24. applekiwipeach macrumors member

for those who claim not having this issue, I have a question:

How sensitive is your proximity sensor? Does it lit up at all when your face moves just slightly away from the screen?

If the answer is no, the problem really doesn't exist on these phones; if yes, it's just a matter of holding the phones. Maybe some hold the phone more still or don't talk much when they're on the move, or use headset, or don't even use the phone that much to realize the problem...

For me, it happens a lot. When I stick my face onto the screen, it would accidentally hit some buttons. If I try to hold my face away, it is even harder to stay still, and the sensor would go on and off even more frequently.

I think Apple should make the sensor a LOT less sensitive, so that the screen won't turn on just because one moves slightly away, but totally away. Not sure if it's possible... it doesn't sound like a difficult software fix though... or am I overestimating modern technology?

25. dark55 macrumors member

Isn't that a bit like taking a glass, scooping water out of the ocean, and if there are no fish in that glass you proclaim that there are no fish in the ocean? You and the people you know with the phone represent a very small portion of the iPhone 4 owners.

I have a week 30 iPhone 4 with the problem. I don't make many calls at all, because I prefer to text, so I don't consider it to be a big problem for me. I can only imagine what people with the problem that spend all day on the phone for business and chatting with friends are going through.

I believe, like others, that everyone doesn't have the problem because of the way each individual holds their phone. There are probably some other variables as well (ear shape...ear hair?), but I don't believe this is a hardware issue.

I haven't heard any rumors about a fix though, and reports from the iOS 4.1 beta don't sound promising :(

Not necessarily, mine works perfectly when I cover it with my finger, but during calls it doesn't work properly all of the time. I tested an iPhone 4 at the Apple Store that wouldn't turn off the screen at all during a call though, even when I covered the sensor with my finger. To the person that asked where the sensor is, it's right above the ear speaker.