any rumors for 2014?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pscl, Dec 23, 2013.

1. pscl macrumors 6502

Hey Guys...

am i wrong or are there no rumors about a new imac release?

when can we expect an update?

i don't want to start those hilarious "will have 4k" or "will there be a touchscreen included?" threads. im just curious what i can expect to replace my 2011 27" iMac. Maybe retina?

i don't really see any major updates coming... except retina maybe along with the standard cpu and gpu updates. though going retina will push the price a lot higher then right now. i wish apple would get rid of those mobility gpus. i would love to see a full specced gpu without the fu***** "m".

2. Bear macrumors G3

The iMac was updated a couple of months ago. I expect that the next update will probably be around September or October of 2014.

Based on that I expect no iMac rumors until July or August.

3. twingo macrumors regular

Retina: yes
    1 GB SSD: yes
    Touchscreen: no

My wife will get one. When? When it's done by Apple.
    No more money out of the window for low resolution displays in 2014!!!

4. pscl thread starter macrumors 6502

definitely not. im pretty sure that there is an update before September/October.

imac usually gets two updates per year. the last update few months ago was just a little spec bump.

5. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Call me biased, but I wouldn't exactly call 2560 x 1440 "low resolution" by any means.

6. Shane1905 macrumors regular

And the one before that was end of 2012, before that was mid 2011... The average release cycle is 333 days. The fastest update since 2009 was 231 days, the longest was 577 days...

7. pscl thread starter macrumors 6502

yes... so maybe june/july release... so we should see some rumors in the next few weeks.. or months :)

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The average time of 333 days from the last release, which was September 24, brings us to August 23. So I wouldn't get too excited about June or July, realistically expect it in mid to late August of next year at the earliest.

9. Bear macrumors G3

It's been about 1 update a year for the past few years. And most iMac updates are just spec bumps when you get down to it. However this last spec bump was a new generation of Intel processors, faster SSDs, faster WiFi and updated GPUs.

If you need a new iMac buy it. If not be prepared to wait until September or so.

10. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Imagine a new model based on their new display that's probably coming. No rumors though.

11. Luke93 macrumors newbie

Wouldn't a retina screen make an iMac really expensive?

12. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I thought the iMac is almost retina already due to the fact that the viewing distance isn't as much on iPad vs the iMac.

13. twingo macrumors regular

My main screen (30") has a resolution of 2560x1600. Since i got the 15er Macbook Retina, i seldom use it for work. It's only running in the background while the main work is done at the eye-friendly display of the Macbook.

I am looking forward to replacing the 30" Dell with a 24" 4k-Screen.

14. Jedi Master macrumors regular

I all depends when Broadwell hits the bricks

I all depends when Broadwell hits the bricks

And then no real need for Apple to hurry to market.

Q4 or later

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I remember rumors that Broadwell would not include the desktop cpu units. It's always possible that they would do a soft refresh with whatever haswell bumps intel releases over the course of next year. I wouldn't expect it before the notebooks, which of course would be held back until broadwell.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Depends on the "retina resolution".

If it will be the 27" - default 2560 x 1440 x2 (thus 5120 x 2880) it would need a *huge* grfx card to be able to handle performance well... I don't even know if that kind of resolution is supported by any card..?

If the 27" iMac will get "4K" (thus 3840 x 2160) and Apple uses the current way of displaying retina resolution (i.e. the icon sizes are in this case are similar to the default 1920 x 1080, but 4 x sharper) then it could be possible with a current gen high-end grfx card.
    Still pretty expensive...

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I can't see a retina iMac in 2014. I think it will come with the major redesign that might happen in 2015.
    Either way, I will upgrade my late 2012 iMac when a retina one becomes available.

18. jetjaguar Suspended

jetjaguar

19. huppala macrumors newbie

20. Bear macrumors G3

For a "Retina" display to be worth it to me, it would have to be 5120x2880 and have a high end desktop card to drive it. And then I wouldn't want to have to pay for it. I don't think we'll see Retina in an iMac for a few years yet, unless it was only an option.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have one, and it's the perfect size for me. 21" too small, 27" too big...

actually I'd really prefer something between a mini and a MacPro. and buy an external screen.

22. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

The recent update was great for the iMac, I just don't understand why they left TB2 out of the iMac. For those wanting to purchase a machine to last a few years this is the main "gotcha" for me.

That said, very few would need it, but with all the 4K screens on the horizon, it can make a difference for some. nMP and rMBPs both got TB2, why the hell leave it off the iMac in the same time frame? Geez. :mad:

23. huppala macrumors newbie

Currently I have my pc and mac mini connected to a 24 "monitor. The size is enough for me.

24. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

That is what I'm waiting for, too. I'm using a 23-inch display right now and it is my favorite size. I had both a 27-inch and 21-inch iMac, and I didn't like either as much as this 23-inch I'm using now. Maybe they'll use a 24-inch 4k panel like Dell is using. With the scaling options you can change it to use the extra resolution for workspace and then go back to 2x retina scaling for web/email. That would be amazing!

25. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

since they omitted thunderbolt 2 ports on the latest imac, I assume this will come in the next one. That way it will twice the bandwidth for TB devices. This is helpful only to a bunch of folks that have external devices which can push more than TB1 can offer.