Any rumors for the latest Retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FooArk, Feb 2, 2014.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Wondering if I should buy now if the latest edition isnt rumored to be a huge upgrade..

2. pmau macrumors 65816

It has been upgraded. I think Apple's focus is somewhere else for the next few month...

3. simsaladimbamba

If you can wait till Q3 2014 or even early 2015 for a mild update, then do so.
    If not, buy the current model, it has been out since 10/2013, thus a sooner update is unlikely, maybe a speed bump or two.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Historically they've been on an 8 month cycle of minor and major refreshes. It's been around 4 months since the major (Haswell) refresh. Figure June or July for the next spec bump.

The three major technologies to look for are Broadwell CPUs, nVidia Maxwell GPUs (unless they decide to switch back to AMD for this generation, which is possible but unlikely) and DDR4.

Broadwell will not be ready until at least Q3 2014 according to rumors.
    DDR4 is going to be supported starting with the Haswell-E CPUs, meaning it could make it into next-gen. Apple was a very early adopter of DDR3 and might do the same with DDR4.
    Maxwell mobile chips will likely not be ready by June.

Conclusion: the next MBP to carry all 3 of these advancements will be the next major refresh, available roughly one year from now.

5. IllmasterMath macrumors regular

DDR4 won't be supported in consumer CPUs until Skylake. Unfortunate since I'll be in the market for an upgrade soon and those aren't expected until 2015/2016.

6. saradush macrumors newbie

Probably looking at Q3 with broadwell chips
    should have decent upgrade on GPU at least

7. leerichards1 macrumors regular

My friend is looking to get his first Apple computer, a 15" Macbook Pro Retina to be used for video editing on the move. As he has a fair amount of money to save first, any potential purchase is still some months away. I've advised him to wait for the next spec bump machine which could come July/Aug, but potentially might not be updated until Sep/Oct. In the meantime I'm looking forward to reading about what these spec bumps are likely to be so that he'll be happy with his latest generation device when he eventually gets it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple just updated the MBP line this past fall, you'll not see anything updated until much later in 2014.

Get it now and enjoy :)

9. badabadi macrumors newbie

Last year there was a refresh in five months (from late 2012 to february 2013). So it is possible that this year it will be repeated.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

heard the new rMBP will include an "any key" for all those confusing moments an application says hit any key to continue