Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
I have a PowerBook G4 that I'm just itching to upgrade, but I can't justify a jump to the current MacBook Pro, which basically just changes the processor. I need a new design... lighter, thinner, and less burning-of-lap.

When's it coming out?

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
I have a PowerBook G4 that I'm just itching to upgrade, but I can't justify a jump to the current MacBook Pro, which basically just changes the processor. I need a new design... lighter, thinner, and less burning-of-lap.

When's it coming out?

New design won't come for a while (spring at least, but I think more like summer). I also highly doubt the next gen will be MUCH thinner or lighter.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
The day that hell freezes over so cold that brimstone goes superconductive.

At a bare minimum, WWDC07.

adiosk8

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006

When's it coming out?

thinner? good luck on that buddy, you cant get much thinner then a macbook pro right now....and its more then a processor...its the increase of the ram and hard drive space, runs cooler..supports more ram... and you get the problems of a first gen fixed....

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA

When's it coming out?

lighter, and thinner..........yeah right and their is no more burning of lap

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Powerbook vs Macbook Pro

The difference between a powerbook and a macbook pro is JUST the processor? hahahahaha...have you even used one? First gen, 1.83 macbook pro SMOKES by my 1.5ghz 12" pbook and my sister's 1.33ghz 15" pbook.

Granted, we're all excited for new products, but come on...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

When's it coming out?

You need to do slightly more homework man...

Also, the Apple laptop case design, regardless of how *old* it may seem, is still the best in the industry. What you're asking for is change for the sake of change.

Where else can you find a 1" thick 17" laptop.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Actually, aren't the current MBP's a bit thinner than the PB G4's?
I just got my MBP C2D a few weeks ago. Last week I was in Texas for a big music convention, and most of the exhibitor's had macs of some sort at their stands. You could tell who had PB's vs. MBP's by the thickness of the base of the laptop (and the mondo cooling grills/vents on the sides).

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
With all the space Apple has on the MacBook Pro I'd like to see them put a decent keybord on it. All that space and they still can't put decent sized cursor keys on there. Perhaps a better keyboard too - as the one they use is just a bit tacky and cheap plastic-ish for such a high price point.

Almost got myself a Pro - but with all the Illustrator work I do those cursor keys get a real workout when doing absolute positioning. Thankfully I tried out the keyboard before, but it really killed the deal for me. Real shame. An otherwise excelent design let down at the human-computer interface. Note to Apple. Need to do better.

Give it another year or to and perhaps Apple will get around to producing something better. Perhaps when they start shipping AMD-powered MBPs? :D

flat6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
thinner? good luck on that buddy, you cant get much thinner then a macbook pro right now....and its more then a processor...its the increase of the ram and hard drive space, runs cooler..supports more ram... and you get the problems of a first gen fixed....

You need to do slightly more homework man...

Also, the Apple laptop case design, regardless of how *old* it may seem, is still the best in the industry. What you're asking for is change for the sake of change.

Where else can you find a 1" thick 17" laptop.

Come now, no need to get defensive. I love the gorgeous design of my PowerBook, no arguments there. But there's plenty of shortfalls for the 15" PowerBook too... the weight and thickness are ridiculous. There's a myriad of other laptops out there that are much lighter and thinner than the 15"... Sony's X505 came out 3 years ago, and that was half an inch thick. (Granted, not a direct comparison, but just to show what's possible.)

The difference between a powerbook and a macbook pro is JUST the processor? hahahahaha...have you even used one? First gen, 1.83 macbook pro SMOKES by my 1.5ghz 12" pbook and my sister's 1.33ghz 15" pbook.

Granted, we're all excited for new products, but come on...

Well, I didn't want to go into the details... like you said, there's a number of things that lead to speed improvements. But my PowerBook's fast enough for me... these are, for me at least, web/mail/Word/movie/music machines. So I'm not looking for more speed, I'm looking for more portability. Maybe you guys use laptops differently than I do. I walk around with mine, day in and day out. I'd rather have future generation get lighter and smaller than just concentrate on boosts in power.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah....let's get these threads started!!! Wooo! Alright everyone...what do you guys want in the NEXT MBP. Everyone (including Apple) is dying to know what would make or break the deal for each and everyone of you specifically. ;)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yeah....let's get these threads started!!! Wooo! Alright everyone...what do you guys want in the NEXT MBP. Everyone (including Apple) is dying to know what would make or break the deal for each and everyone of you specifically. ;)

A death-ray that can pinpoint the people who already jump on the next processor bandwagon when the computer is still new. I want those people gone.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
No, there are no rumors on the next MacBook Pro. Otherwise it would have been here.

Just wait. Don't ask? Noone except Steve's dog know right now when the next MBP's are coming, so from now on, until the first rumer appear on the frontpage, absolutely 0, none, nobody not nohow threads on the next MacBook Pro.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
There's a myriad of other laptops out there that are much lighter and thinner than the 15"... Sony's X505 came out 3 years ago, and that was half an inch thick.

That system was not only not even close to being comparable, but it also isn't made anymore (probably for a reason). I would hardly call the competitive options a "myriad" - I can think of few systems that compare to the 15" MacBook Pro.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Come now, no need to get defensive. I love the gorgeous design of my PowerBook, no arguments there. But there's plenty of shortfalls for the 15" PowerBook too... the weight and thickness are ridiculous. There's a myriad of other laptops out there that are much lighter and thinner than the 15"... Sony's X505 came out 3 years ago, and that was half an inch thick. (Granted, not a direct comparison, but just to show what's possible.)

Ridiculous? I'm not being defensive here, but you really must not have looked at most laptops nowadays!

It is essentially impossible to have a Complete, Professional laptop like a PB/MBP that is any smaller with existing technology.

The Sony X505 and other laptops thinner than approx. 1" lack important features such as internal optical drives, high quality parts (CNet did not like the speakers at all), and can be short on battery life. Also, they might run hot and/or loud due to the smaller form factor.

Also the X505 is actually 0.75in thick at its thickest point, though a bit less than 0.5 at its thinnest. I don't think it is apple style to vary thickness dramatically.

tdonner

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
One just came out, so why don't you ask about that one?

last i checked this was macrumors.com, if i want info on current products i'll go to apples website.

anyway, the OP brings up a very valid point about the case design; it's starting to show it's age both in design and thermal properties.For me the exterior design of a computer (especially a mac) is a big factor so it makes more sense to be excited about a renewed case than a speed bump which is of little significance for a non-pro user like myself. I just need for the thing to be sexy as hell and the current design really ain't doing it for me anymore :) although i still love my g4 pb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.