Any rumors or a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xWhiplash, Nov 15, 2016.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

My 2010 Mac Pro is still running strong, but I would like to replace it with a newer system before I NEED to in an emergency situation. I have a 3.33Ghz 6-core Xeon and I am using a Windows GTX 980 (not flashed). Even though the new Mac Pro would be better, I wanted to see if anybody knows of anything before I make the purchase. I know they are "outdated" hardware and I can get one from Dell cheaper, but I need/like macOS for production work. Also, which video cards would you recommend for After Effects/Premiere Pro/Final Cut Pro tasks? I do not care that much about gaming. I just threw my GTX 980 in there because it was just sitting unused otherwise.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Nothing but rumors so far and nothing what could make them at least 1% credible.

3. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502

aaronhead14

We ALL want a new Mac Pro. But Apple has been too lazy and neglecting.... :(

4. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

When there's even the slightest, most insubstantial, improbable, unlikely wisp of a rumor - you won't have to ask. It'll be the hottest thread right here.

5. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Is the current configuration as horrible as people say? Would it be a decent upgrade to my 2010 Mac Pro? How long would you recommend I wait?

6. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

At least wait to February.

If February comes and goes then I'd strongly suspect Apple is done with the Mac Pro

7. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Depends on your circumstances. Is your current machine holding you back in some way?

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

IIRC, the last published rumor claim was by MacWorld UK for a new Mac Pro release in November.

9. Jack Burton macrumors 6502

Jack Burton

Well dang, we are halfway through November now.

I'm really holding out hope for updated mac hardware (iMac or Mac Pro) because I recently fell in love with the iPad Pro for drawing. With Astropad to hook up to a mac, it is amazing for hand drawn animation and illustration.

10. sevichenko macrumors regular

11. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

No. But how long will a 2010 computer last? I need to replace it before it dies and I am in a rush to get a replacement.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

There is no way to tell for an individual computer, but considering all the people in this forum using 2006 Mac Pros, I don't think there's a rush.

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Who knows when the next apple mac pro will come out. Probably next year...or never. You should try 6,1 if that's the case.

14. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Which video cards would be ideal for Premiere/Final Cut? I have a GTX 980 in my 2010 Mac Pro right now. I do not care about gaming.

15. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Get another 5,1. Its the best thing available that is upgradeable still.

16. sn1p3r845 macrumors regular

Every time we pass a milestone it's "Wait until Spring.." then spring comes, then it changes to "Wait until Winter!" When does it end? I've been playing this game for 2 years now

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Some time in the next few years I think.

18. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

let's think:
    around March/April: ipads

Summer: WWDC- osx and emoji

September 2017: iphone 8

november 2017: RMBP

any questions?

19. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

But, to be honest, you have to admit that the number of posts about hardware failures on the MP5,1 and early are increasing.

I've eWasted every system in my lab that was before E5-x5xxv2. The next purge will eWaste the E5-x5xxv2 system, so that we're v3 and later.

20. JLOAKS macrumors newbie

JLOAKS

21. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

Not a grain of salt, a whole dump truck of salt... So much salt that my artery are stiffening just by looking at all that salt.

22. Blair Paulsen macrumors member

Historically, Apple has waited for the right mix of new tech to release new models. Moreover, they are dependent on suppliers who have been missing/delaying their target release dates more and more.

Yes, they risk losing a bunch of customers by standing pat. That said, will any of us be that pumped up if the next model is just a small improvement? I'm one of the many 5,1 holdouts who would love to step into the modern era - but, at this point, it needs to be a big step.

23. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

A spec bump would most certainly be a cheap shot on Apple's part, but for people like the OP who are considering picking up a 6.1 it will at least remove that bitter taste of paying a high price for unbelievably old technology.

Should it indeed just be a spec bump the big question is going to be why it wasn't done sooner!?

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Really the Mac Pro is so outdated and overpriced, it's just isn't worth it IMO. But at the same time, nobody knows what they're doing over there in Cupertino besides making things thinner and soldering things, so we really don't know if or when a new Mac Pro will come out.

Maybe if you really need it, buy it, then if/when a new Mac Pro comes out, sell it then get the new one. Course the new one might end up being worse than the current one.

LOL - You forgot to add watch bands! :D

25. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

The Mac Pro is done with -- I'd bet dollars to donuts on it.

The iMac will likely be the flagship in the desktop Mac line from now on. I'd imagine the wireless keyboard will get the touch bar some time next year.

It's worth noting that right when Apple started to drop the ball, Microsoft has come along with some seriously competitive hardware and software. So it's not all that bad of a situation.