Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
What are the chances that apple is working on a 12" Macbook with Touch ID?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
It'd say very unlikely. Separating it from the Touch Bar is probably too much work, and putting the TB in the rMB is too expensive (both in terms of component costs as well as extra battery drain). It's also something they can use to get people to buy the MBP instead. And a lot of the advertisement around the TB is about controlling pro-apps, none of which they're likely to associate with the rMB.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Highly doubful... They'll probably do it in 3 years when they redesign the rMB

DrDan99

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
West Michigan
It'd say very unlikely. Separating it from the Touch Bar is probably too much work, and putting the TB in the rMB is too expensive (both in terms of component costs as well as extra battery drain). It's also something they can use to get people to buy the MBP instead. And a lot of the advertisement around the TB is about controlling pro-apps, none of which they're likely to associate with the rMB.

I'm sure you're right. I will be buying no matter what but I like touch ID. No need for the TB.

Does C64 mean Commadore 64????? Ahhh the good old days...

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Alternatively you can get yourself an Apple Watch, and use that new sierra feature that unlocks the computer whenever you are wearing the Watch.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Touch ID will only be on a MacBook when the Touch Bar is. And the Touch Bar is the USP of the MacBook Pro so will theoretically only come to the MacBook once a new MacBook Pro is in advanced stages and a new feature has been finalised, so possibly in 2-3 years.

However, since we've seen that the Touch Bar really isn't the main attraction for the MacBook Pros (with a lot of people finding it useless or hating it), it's possible (but currently unlikely) that Apple could introduce a Touch Bar model for the MacBook. I would really like that to happen.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
or just buy a windows 2-in-1 with touch screen, pen, great screens, great keyboards -- and this from a mac type with a 2015 base mbp, 2015 base rmb and a desktop mac mini...all now ignored with my microsoft sp4, s3, hp spectre x2.

DrDan99

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
West Michigan
or just buy a windows 2-in-1 with touch screen, pen, great screens, great keyboards -- and this from a mac type with a 2015 base mbp, 2015 base rmb and a desktop mac mini...all now ignored with my microsoft sp4, s3, hp spectre x2.

I had a number of Lenovo X type 2 in 1. Excellent computers. Toshiba... no so much. I tried my Thinkpad x230t for this but really, with the larger battery to get a decent battery life, it weights the same as my 15in MBP. I never used it in tablet mode and didn't use the touchscreen/pen for what I do now. I used the screen and pen 75% of the time in my previous work.

I did buy 6 Surface Pro's for my previous office but prefer an attached real keyboard. It got the work done we needed but I didn't enjoy them.

I lived in both world for many years. But now, I'm just doing Apple to keep everything in one universe. It is easier as I get older and have less demands on computers. I will get the rMB in the next few weeks as a "daily drive" and use my 2015 MBP 15 inch for real work. I would like one more port if possible, 16 mb would be good. Keep the headset plug please. I loved the touch ID on my Thinkpads. But it will be what it will be. The current model would be fine but I can wait a few weeks if more toys are added.

Last edited:

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I had a number of Lenovo X type 2 in 1. Excellent computers. Toshiba... no so much. I tried my Thinkpad x230t for this but really, with the larger battery to get a decent battery life, it weights the same as my 15in MBP. I never used it in tablet mode and didn't use the touchscreen/pen for what I do now. I used the screen and pen 75% of the time in my previous work.

I did buy 6 Surface Pro's for my previous office but prefer an attached real keyboard. It got the work done we needed but I didn't enjoy them.

I lived in both world for many years. But now, I'm just doing Apple to keep everything in one universe. It is easier as I get older and have less demands on computers. I will get the rMB in the next few weeks as a "daily drive" and use my 2015 MBP 15 inch for real work. I would like one more port if possible, 16 mb would be good. Keep the headset plug please. I loved the touch ID on my Thinkpads. But it will be what it will be. The current model would be fine but I can wait a few weeks if more toys are added.

Brydge has just come out with a full-blown keyboard for the SP4 that turns the SP4 into a true, full-blown laptop replacement. It's all aluminum has the tactile keyboard feel of a MBP, etc etc. $149, but well worth it.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
apple wants to sell services.
Touch ID on MacBook is coming sooner or later.
apple pay, quick iTunes, app, and iBook purchases, all benefit from Touch ID.
increased security concerns alone make it a sure thing coming to the MacBook.
Where else better to put it than on a touch panel.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
What are the chances that apple is working on a 12" Macbook with Touch ID?

On multiple levels this is unlikely to happen.

It's designed for the "Pro" level laptops for a reason (and there's a 13" without it). It requires it's own separate chip and power (not ideal for a low-powered 12"), the 12" can't really fit it within the current framework and the forthcoming update is going to be very minor!

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
On multiple levels this is unlikely to happen.

It's designed for the "Pro" level laptops for a reason (and there's a 13" without it).
Don't make up fake stuff. There's nothing 'Pro' about the touchbar. And the reason the 13" model is there, is to have a lower cost model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.