Any Runners, Walkers, Joggers or Hikers Using An iPhone Out In The Elements?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bmstrong, Oct 4, 2015.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Any tips, tricks or tactics for maintaining a functioning iPhone in inclement weather?

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Get a waterproof case, or waterproof armband...

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want to go old school, you can place the iPhone in a large freezer bag. And if you want to be even more careful, you can place that freezer bag in another freezer bag. One bag works well for iPhone 6 with Otterbox Defender Series case. Using two bags together doesn't work as well in the pocket, unless your running pocket is rather large.

If you want something a little bit more practical, safer, and still usable, (albeit it takes a little effort) I highly recommend getting a JOTO Universal Waterproof, Snowproof, Dirtproof Case bag for iPhones, as well as many other model phones.

I can fit my iPhone 6 with Otterbox Defender in the bag without any problem. I can still use the phone albeit it takes a little more effort depressing the home button. You won't have to worry about your phone, while walking / running in the rain with that case.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmmm, I usually just double bag my phone when I'm on the trail and I think it may rain substantially. Waterproof cases supposedly exist, but I haven't found them necessary. On the other hand, I rarely use my phone when I'm out in the wilderness.

5. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

You have to accept that really inclement weather means that you have to make compromises. On my iPhone 5, I'd use an Otterbox Defender when canoeing or fishing or hiking. I could still take pictures which was my primary use for the phone since I had almost no connectivity.

I used an Armpocket for running, where it's only uses were to play musing and record the run with Runkeeper. It is only water resistant, and I basically had to take it out of the pocket to start/stop the run. The plastic covering in the Armpocket made using the phone very difficult.

With my iPhone 6S, I have an i-Blason case with holster. The case alone barely slips into the Plantronics arm band that came with my Backbeat Fit headphones. It doesn't even pretend to allow you to access the phone while it's in the band. So, I practice removing it as I finish a run to stop timing.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I use a Lifeproof but do my best to keep it from harms way, like no submersion, ziplock in rain, etc.