Any safe non spammy scanners for clean up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I've had the MBP 5 plus years and obviously it's not as slick as it once was, and I just want to know what can scan and clean up odd bits left by downloads.

I downloaded an FTP programme today(as it turns out I've no clue how to use it so deleted anyway) but when It downloaded it offered this that and the other, which I unticked, and they still landed them on me anyway. It has completely changed my browsers and what it opens on tabs and homepage. But other software that's been downloaded over the years I'm sure has gone to slowing me up. And I wondered if there's anything out there like a virus scanner that finds all this scattered rubbish everywhere and may save me some much needed space too?

Any suggestions most grateful for scanner type programmes who don't themselves leave a load of rubbish that I've just mentioned. I've heard Adware Medic a few times but not sure that's what I need, anyone use that?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Definitely start with Adware Medic. It should take care of what you're experiencing.

3. Peter Franks, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Anything else safe to use?

I'm using 10.6.8 and it says :

[​IMG]

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Antivirus apps don't scan for leftover files. They only scan for malware. Adware scanners do the same for adware.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I agree with GGJstudios. Read the "Best way to fully delete a program" and follow that (that's what I do). These clean up utilities can sometimes delete too much and cause issues or they may not get everything.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, It's not all about the application downloads though, How do I get rid of ad and spy stuff when I've no clue what to remove safely?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

ClamX also a manual removal job?

Is it idiot proof to remove anything?

Thanks, as my grab above shows, Adware Medic won't work on mine
    but I'll check out that Mac Page

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClamXAV will only scan for and quarantine malware. It will not remove anything other than malware, which is very unlikely that you have.
    Nothing is idiot proof, but if you follow the simple instructions carefully, it will work fine.
    I missed that you're on 10.6.8. In that case, you'll find manual adware removal instructions here: http://www.thesafemac.com/arg/

11. Peter Franks, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. One last question, whenever I've downloaded anything prior the box came up for me to put password in to download, the last few downloads have not prompted this box, any idea why? I just get ... clamx is an app downloaded from the internet, do you wish etc.... and same for the FTP download, but why now am I never asked for password to install anything when I always used to be?

I've not changed anything either, never have, But all downloads were prompted for a password, now, nothing I download asks for it anymore. Which makes me wonder if stuff can be downloaded on here without my knowledge

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The installation of some apps requires writing to some areas that require the administrator password to access. Not all apps require this. Many can simply be dragged into the Applications folder with no password required.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

so nothing untoward can access without me then? is there a test to see if that is still the case? In all honesty, it's been years since I was prompted for password on a download

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Passwords aren't required for simply downloading. Passwords are required only for some app installations, but not for the majority of apps. If you ran ClamXAV and it found nothing, you're fine.

Are you having specific symptoms that cause you to suspect some unwanted software on your Mac? If you haven't been installing pirated apps and don't have Java enabled in your browser, it's extremely unlikely that you have any malware on your computer.

If your primary concern is cleaning up unused files to free up space on your drive, turn your attention away from malware, adware and spyware and focus instead on freeing up space. Use the links I posted in post #5.

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, don't download anything dodgy, not worked out ClamXAV yet, it's telling me to download the AV with it. Not specific other than some strange things happening and much slower than it was. Many things are moving that I've not moved. Whether it be in the dock or in downloads.

Off topic, always wondered, You know the application folder that is in the Users folder of my log in name, why is that empty, What is the difference between that one and the one with all the Mac Apps in it? Should mine have anything in it?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The ~/Applications folder in your user folder is for apps that you might want installed that other users of your Mac would not have access to, as opposed to the /Applications folder, which all users can access. There are very few instances where that might be required, so it's usually empty for most users.

17. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Another alien pop up today from...

appleissues.co.uk which I gather doesn't exist. But these do get through