Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delilah14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Hello,

I want to purchase the 2012 MBA, 13" , 128 SSD model with 8GB of RAM. Portability is extremely important to me as I am always on the go.
I need to run Matlab, one note, SPSS, and Latex. Most of the time together.
Does anyone here use a MBA for Matlab? Could you please comment on the performance? I really don't want it to slow down or lag as I deal with 3D and 4D matrices. I did up the RAM, but is this good enough?
First Mac, so I have all these questions :)

Thanks

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Hello,

I want to purchase the 2012 MBA, 13" , 128 SSD model with 8GB of RAM. Portability is extremely important to me as I am always on the go.
I need to run Matlab, one note, SPSS, and Latex. Most of the time together.
Does anyone here use a MBA for Matlab? Could you please comment on the performance? I really don't want it to slow down or lag as I deal with 3D and 4D matrices. I did up the RAM, but is this good enough?
First Mac, so I have all these questions :)

Thanks

My classmates say that we can get any computer because all the programs we need are on designated lab computers.

tey112

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
What are you doing in matlab? If you have a sample m file that is compatible with octave, I'll run it for you to get a rough idea. For data analysis you should be golden. I just got my 13" i5 8gb air today and it is as snappy and hits the same benchmarks as my 2011 pro 2.7ghz.

Source: I have done some heavy work in that before that I'm pretty sure killed my 2006 MBP from heat (back in 2009).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.