Any screen problems with the Non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoupyFlow, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SoupyFlow macrumors member

Hi folks, I was just in the market to get a new Non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro and I was wondering if anyone had any problems with the screens?

Any uneven brightness, weird color tintings, backlight bleeding issues?

I was looking to get the High-Res glossy upgrade.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. mjn298 macrumors regular

I have a 2012 15" with the stock (1440x900) screen and i have no complaints w/ the panel.

i dunno if it's got "perfect" color representation or anything like that but i also don't particularly care and i'd need instruments to test that.

colors are consistent

i have to ask, though, if you're spending the extra $100 on the hi-res upgrade why not just go retina

3. SoupyFlow thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. Well actually I didn't want to get into the retina discussion again, but I just recently went through three of them and they all had problems. In addition it was a bit awkward trying to do Web Design on a retina when you can't tell if images are blurry or just not optimized for retina. Lastly if you look around the forums the current retinas are more like a beta, they are plagued with all sorts of issues.

Plus I am just looking to get the $1799 model with the $100 dollar screen upgrade. The $2199 retina does not have enought HD space and ram for me.

4. mjn298 macrumors regular

good enough for me.

I got the $1799 model as well.

I'm still running it w/no upgrades (which I will make soon) and it is great. I haven't really done anything that serious yet (I've used logic, but that only uses up to 4 gb of ram i think since it's 32 bit.. grrrr).

I ordered 16gb ram and a 256 gb ssd.

pro tools doesn't support SSDs or firewire over thunderbolt (yet) so my hands were kinda tied.