Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Any screen problems with the Non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro?

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Hi folks, I was just in the market to get a new Non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro and I was wondering if anyone had any problems with the screens?

Any uneven brightness, weird color tintings, backlight bleeding issues?

I was looking to get the High-Res glossy upgrade.

Thanks in advance! :)

mjn298

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Palisades, Washington, DC
I have a 2012 15" with the stock (1440x900) screen and i have no complaints w/ the panel.

i dunno if it's got "perfect" color representation or anything like that but i also don't particularly care and i'd need instruments to test that.

colors are consistent

i have to ask, though, if you're spending the extra $100 on the hi-res upgrade why not just go retina

Comment

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I have a 2012 15" with the stock (1440x900) screen and i have no complaints w/ the panel.

i dunno if it's got "perfect" color representation or anything like that but i also don't particularly care and i'd need instruments to test that.

colors are consistent

i have to ask, though, if you're spending the extra $100 on the hi-res upgrade why not just go retina

Thanks for the info. Well actually I didn't want to get into the retina discussion again, but I just recently went through three of them and they all had problems. In addition it was a bit awkward trying to do Web Design on a retina when you can't tell if images are blurry or just not optimized for retina. Lastly if you look around the forums the current retinas are more like a beta, they are plagued with all sorts of issues.

Plus I am just looking to get the $1799 model with the $100 dollar screen upgrade. The $2199 retina does not have enought HD space and ram for me.

Comment

mjn298

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Palisades, Washington, DC
Thanks for the info. Well actually I didn't want to get into the retina discussion again, but I just recently went through three of them and they all had problems. In addition it was a bit awkward trying to do Web Design on a retina when you can't tell if images are blurry or just not optimized for retina. Lastly if you look around the forums the current retinas are more like a beta, they are plagued with all sorts of issues.

Plus I am just looking to get the $1799 model with the $100 dollar screen upgrade. The $2199 retina does not have enought HD space and ram for me.

good enough for me.

I got the $1799 model as well.

I'm still running it w/no upgrades (which I will make soon) and it is great. I haven't really done anything that serious yet (I've used logic, but that only uses up to 4 gb of ram i think since it's 32 bit.. grrrr).

I ordered 16gb ram and a 256 gb ssd.

pro tools doesn't support SSDs or firewire over thunderbolt (yet) so my hands were kinda tied.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.