Any screenwriters out there?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDFierro, Mar 5, 2012.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Looking forward to the iPad 3 announcement. I've been thinking about how great the retina display will be for reading scripts. The iPad itself is already a great platform for scripts. Now if I can come up with an easy solution for doing some writing on the thing.

Although I'm sure this doesn't just apply to screenwriting, as we are all waiting on the retina display.

2. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I heard a while ago that final draft was working on an iPad app. If siri where to come with it i guess you might be able to dictate to it

3. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I heard a while ago that final draft was working on an iPad app. If siri where to come with it i guess you might be able to dictate to it

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I like the Movie Draft software for Mac that's available in the Mac app store. A couple of months ago I wrote the developer to ask if he had it in mind to bring it to the iPad, and he said that that was certainly part of the plan.

Absolutely no idea about when (or if, for sure), but the iPad definitely needs a great screenwriting app.

5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Final Draft released a reader app a few weeks ago. They are working on a writer app now. Once that comes, everything will be great.

Celtx looks to be the best writer/editor for now.

----------

I haven't tried Movie Draft, but as I mentioned Celtx is a perfectly acceptable option. Would be great if Scrivener worked on an app also. But when Final Draft releases their editor and not just a reader, that will be the best thing.

Still looking forward to the prospects of it becoming a better iPad for this purpose.

6. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

7. ddvmor macrumors newbie

I haven't come across any great options for the ipad so far. They all seem to be kinda gimmicky workflow-centric type efforts that put far too much emphasis on looking pretty than just letting you get on and type.

I've ended up just using pages or google docs and just tidying it up later.

I'd love to see final draft on the ipad - preferably with some sort of collaborative options.

8. bob99 macrumors member

Screenwriter here. I'll probably get an iPad3 for reading scripts and eBooks, but when it comes to actually writing, nothing beats the MacBook Air.

Screenwriting is so keyboard-centric that I can't imagine doing it on the iPad. I've found the touch-screen isn't responsive enough, and if you need to use some sort of integrated keyboard / case thing, that kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, in my workflow, I like to have MacJournal open with my outline, and Final Draft open to write in. The lack of ability to run two programs at once hurts the iPad.

I'm using Goodreader for PDF's, as well as FDX Reader. I didn't buy the Final Draft program for iPad. I'm curious to see what their solution for writing on the iPad is, if they ever bother to come out with it. It's been two years! Final Draft stinks as a company. I use their Mac software, but it's a buggy, crappy program. I've used Movie Magic and I liked it, but nobody uses Movie Magic (or Celtix), so there's no real point in writing with those programs.

In conclusion, my opinion is that the iPad3 will be great for reading scripts, and stink for writing scripts.

Bob

9. *Harlow* macrumors member

10. Nychot macrumors 6502a

now if theyd find a program that writes GREAT screenplays and not the total CRAP thats being produced in hollywood by overpaid hacks

11. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Cool, thanks for the heads-up on Storyist. It looks like a good solution, will have to see if I would prefer that to the Celtx app.

I would agree that there isn't an exceptional solution for writing scripts on the iPad yet. But reading we seem good for. Won't stop me from trying it out.

12. drjsway macrumors 6502a

It's not that they are incapable of writing GREAT screenplays, it's just BAD movies make more money. Studios INTENTIONALLY put out mind-numbing product because that's what the majority want to see.

Anyway, back on topic, Final Draft took two years to write an iPad app and it's a $20 reader?! Until screenwriting software on the iPad becomes as feature rich as their desktop counterparts, I don't think many will be making the switch.

13. bob99 macrumors member

Yeah, Final Draft is about the worst software company ever. They've had such a bad history of shoddy customer support. Their desktop software is buggy as hell.

And the reader app did indeed take two years. Embarrassing!

Most people I work with who want to annotate scripts use Goodreader to do it, since they're working off PDF's. You almost never distribute the FDX, since the last thing you want is somebody rewriting a scene because "they had a few new ideas."

14. kirp1234 macrumors newbie

I've pretty much given up with Final Draft and their pipe app dreams. I used Celtx for awhile but if your a serious screenwriter you'd need to use Final Draft's desktop program. My favorite for the iPad is Scripts Pro, it imports/export FD 8 files and has a pretty simplistic interface. It's been a while since their last update but looking at their site, the next update is going to be sickk.
    http://www.scriptsapp.com/blog

Looks like their incorporating Siri in their too for voice dictation. :eek: