Any scuba divers here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

How ling have you been certified? Where all have you dove? My best two dives were in oahu

2. djjclark macrumors regular

20+ years. Northern California to start then I found warm water - Key Largo, Cozumel (many times), Grand Cayman (south and east), Bonaire. Then I got married and had a kid and now vacations are to Disney Land.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I haven't been in 10+ years, but I learned in Socal when I was young, and have done Catalina, the Poor Knights Islands in New Zealand, and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

I'd love to get back into it again.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Only been scuba diving one time. It was in the Bahamas with my wife. I really enjoyed it though and would love to do it again some time. :)

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Yup...retired Divemaster here...

Dove Florida, California, Hawaii, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Bonaire, Curacao, Australia...

Wish I had more time...

-J.-

6. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

3 years. Best dives were probably my first dive in Devil's Eye or the Grand Traverse at Peacock Springs.

Video from a recent dive

^as you can see, cave diving is my thing :)

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup.. I haven't been in quite some time thou. Dove, mainly in california. Both me and the wife are certified and we have all of our own gear.....

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Scuba did nothing for me in the north Pacific. Did the tests and pool work, but nothing in the cold ocean which often requires a dry suit and very short stints. It's simply too much work and expense. Now if I were in Hawaii, it would be a different story.

The same goes with surfing. I would go if I didn't have to have a full wet suit, hoodie, and booties, so I skate instead. And yes, I know, skating is very dangerous. In 35+ years of doing skating vs. ocean sports, the only surfers I know of who died or got severely hurt were driving on a dangerous road en route to some waves and had a car accident or partied too hard on drugs and overdosed. As for skating, people get hurt or killed all the time, mostly due to run ins with cars.