Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey all,

I have been playing L4D constantly since I bought it a few weeks ago, and I am having trouble finding talented, experienced people to play with. I'll always get pinned by a Hunter or something, and the random people I play with online could care less about helping out. The caliber of people I find in random games is very low, but the caliber of people I find on MR is pretty high, so why not try here?

If you want to play with me and really kill some zombies, let me know. My steam is barr08, and I play advanced to expert games in the evenings and at night. Add me up, or reply here and I'll add you, and maybe we can play a few rounds. You don't need to be pro or anything, just be relatively serious about wanting to play and win a game that is largely (and in expert, almost exclusively) based on teamwork.

Let's have some fun!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was rapidly brought up in L4D by a friend who has almost all the achievements. He's good. I guess I'm semi-serious, I believe in all that team play stuff (some folk just go running off and do their own thang - then they get incapacitated and they leave) but I also have bound my keys to do cheeky vocal things. Like a melee attack also has the player shout "TANK!".

I'd be up for an Advanced game or 2 or 12. Can't do expert on my connection. I somehow end up with the most kills but it's too laggy and I get about 8-12 friendly fire incidents each game.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I was rapidly brought up in L4D by a friend who has almost all the achievements. He's good. I guess I'm semi-serious, I believe in all that team play stuff (some folk just go running off and do their own thang - then they get incapacitated and they leave) but I also have bound my keys to do cheeky vocal things. Like a melee attack also has the player shout "TANK!".

I'd be up for an Advanced game or 2 or 12. Can't do expert on my connection. I somehow end up with the most kills but it's too laggy and I get about 8-12 friendly fire incidents each game.

Some kid in one of my games a few days ago kept going "oh no!" with francis. I thought it was actually pretty funny.

Are you on dial up? It doesn't really matter to me, just a little curious.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
With hunter, you gotta shoot them before they get too close, or melee them in the air.

Possible to shoot hunter from a distance even with shotgun.
Harder to shoot smoker with shotgun though.
Just keep moving around when those guys are around, although moving around increases chance of friendly fire.

Use your mic. Funny thing is that when people are trapped, I often save them so fast that they voice chat "hunter on me" after I saved them.

Even on public game, there is usually 1 person who would save you. If not, then the game doesn't usually last very long on expert.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
With hunter, you gotta shoot them before they get too close, or melee them in the air.

Possible to shoot hunter from a distance even with shotgun.
Harder to shoot smoker with shotgun though.

Use your mic. Funny thing is that when people are trapped, I often save them so fast that they voice chat "hunter on me" after I saved them.

Even on public game, there is usually 1 person who would save you. If not, then the game doesn't usually last very long on expert.

Yeah, I usually try to melee hunters, but it doesn't always work out. The timing needed makes it fun and challenging.

As for a mic, I ordered one from deal extreme a few weeks ago, and it should be here any day now. Maybe once I have a mic, I can yell at people to come save me when they aren't paying attention.

Maybe I have had bad luck w/ people online, but it's rare to find a game that has mostly competent players. Even with one other, it's still hard to stay alive even on advanced.

I was in a game with a kid (who was admin of the server I was on) who would hide whenever a tank or horde came. That, to me, is the worst kind of player.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Having microphone helps a lot, but nothing can save you from bad players.

Having headphone or decent sound system playing at decent volume helps too, as you can hear the specific sound of special infected in the area, look for them, and get them before they get you.

By turning around you can pinpoint the location of special infected even with stereo sound. (I do have surround sound headphones but can't get it to work.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Some kid in one of my games a few days ago kept going "oh no!" with francis. I thought it was actually pretty funny.

Are you on dial up? It doesn't really matter to me, just a little curious.

We're on a 1.5mbps connection thats wirelessly dispatched from a router oh, say, about several miles away. And for some reason overclocking my graphics card (which I need to do) causes the wifi reception to get worse.

I currently have; shoot= laugh, middle button= getting slimed (with Zoey it has humorous results when rapidly pressed :)), right= tank. G= pick me up, C= scream etc :eek:

We had a game not too long ago where some guy who ran ahead for most of the game, would run and hide during Tank fights. Super weak that.
Oh and little known fact, depending on your circle of friends - Tanks run faster when on fire.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Hey all,

I have been playing L4D constantly since I bought it a few weeks ago, and I am having trouble finding talented, experienced people to play with. I'll always get pinned by a Hunter or something, and the random people I play with online could care less about helping out. The caliber of people I find in random games is very low, but the caliber of people I find on MR is pretty high, so why not try here?

If you want to play with me and really kill some zombies, let me know. My steam is barr08, and I play advanced to expert games in the evenings and at night. Add me up, or reply here and I'll add you, and maybe we can play a few rounds. You don't need to be pro or anything, just be relatively serious about wanting to play and win a game that is largely (and in expert, almost exclusively) based on teamwork.

Let's have some fun!

Am I good enough for you? :p

Me in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guErrUU-K58

Oh and little known fact, depending on your circle of friends - Tanks run faster when on fire.

Yea. Gonna do a bit of bragging here cause apparently I was the first one to bring this up. This video ought show it clearly. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xnUBQc7Adk

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Am I good enough for you? :p

Me in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guErrUU-K58

Yea. Gonna do a bit of bragging here cause apparently I was the first one to bring this up. This video ought show it clearly. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xnUBQc7Adk

I can't view youtube at work, but I like your spunk! I'm sure you're way better than me. I honestly am an average player, I just feel like playing with serious, good people is the best way to get better.

I will be playing at 5:30 pm today. I will check back here for steam names of people interested, and hopefully we can get something goin!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I finally decided to play some Advanced games tonight. Man up from normal. The first few games I was with people who worked well together so we did really well. No deaths, no restarts. But the last game.... ugh.... people horde crap too much. Seriously, if you have 90 health and buddy has 20, give him the damn med-kit, he is useless limping around being a one hit kill.

But then again, I'm always the one with most saves, more protects and most med-kits used on other people... :p

aluminumapple

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
add me if you want to Steam ID Oceanabyss

im a serious player and contribute alot of time whenever i have free time into L4D. and i agree with the fact it is annoying to find people not helping you especially during Tank pop ups in versus modes..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.