Any Series 1 vs Series 2 tests yet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tromboneaholic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. tromboneaholic macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

just curious if anyone has seen any head to head performance tests between Series 1 and Series 2.

I'm going to be getting two watches, one for me and the other for my girl, so saving $100 x 2 is a good deal. Brightness is adequate, and we're not swimmers or runners. If the performance is there, I'm going for Series 1.

2. terminator-jq, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

terminator-jq macrumors regular

I went ahead and pre-ordered a Series 1 along with my iPhone 7. From everything I've read, the Series 1 and Series 2 are exactly the same watch other than the brighter screen, GPS, extra water-proofing and slightly larger battery (mainly to support the GPS). They both share the same chip (other than the GPS on the S2 chip) so they should have the same performance (plus the extra performance bump from Watch OS3).

Overall it should be a good upgrade over the Series 0. If your not a big swimmer and you don't mind taking your phone with you on runs (I actually prefer to have my phone with me, just in-case there is an emergency) then there is no point spending the extra $100 for the Series 2. The brighter screen is a nice bonus for the series 2 but for #100, I can deal with a dimmer screen.

3. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...to add, the processor in the Series II, is faster than the 1st Gen.

4. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    By first gen you mean the original/series 0? I thought the series 2 and the series 1 had the same processor.

5. dmillar74 macrumors regular

Bought my watch a year ago. Love it but the apps sometimes open so slow. WatchOS3 is a huge improvement now. Watch feels like it should from the beginning!

6. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Oops, you're right. Series I & Series II are the same. But, 1st Generation has a different processor...

7. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

Series 1 is not the same processor as the original watch.

I'm looking for Series 1 vs Series 2 comparisons.

Thanks

8. Magorath macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for this too. I'd love to see how they compare against each other processor wise, I'm not bothered by the added GPS and additional water resistance of the series 2, just the processing power comparison!

9. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

To confirm, Series 1 & Series 2, have DIFFERENT chips (and I'm not talking about 1st Gen)...

chips.PNG

10. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I wonder if really the only difference between S1P and S2 is GPS ...

11. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

The whole system is on a chip, so the different designation is in regards to GPS being baked into the chip, at least that's what is being reported. That's why I'm interested in seeing an actual head to head comparison of speed.

12. mathewr macrumors 6502

I would like a series 0 vs series 2 test that focuses on speed of watch

13. slater-k macrumors regular

Exactly the same as me :)

Yeah, I think that is the only difference - but having said that, I've got my fingers crossed!

14. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

Best I could do with the one series 2 my local store had, was a quick app launch test compared with my series 0. Apps that were not in the dock took around 2 loading animation spins before opening compared to the 5-7 seconds on series 0.

I tested the water ejection on series 2 that is meant to make a noise but it didn't for me, perhaps it recognises if there's water in the port or not first and doesn't activate if theres no water? The only other thing I immediately noticed was the display brightness, it is much improved over series 0.

15. mathewr macrumors 6502

sounds like the speed is a big difference. thanks for letting me know

16. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

I went ahead and grabbed a pair of Series 1, Gold 42mm and Rose Gold 38mm. From all reports it seems just as fast as Series 2.

17. ManicMarc, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I've just ordered a series 2, currently the owner of a series 0. Just can't decide whether to stay at 38mm or upgrade to a 42mm. i have skinny wrists, but want more battery!

Opinions... should I go large? I own four 38mm bands, so I probably won't. Going to switch to silver, though.

[Link to image]

[​IMG]

18. slater-k, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

slater-k macrumors regular

I've been playing with my series 1 that arrived today. I'd updated my series 0 to OS3 when it came out. The difference between series 1 and 0 seems about the same as series 0 os3 and series 0 os2.

I'd be surprised if there is a difference in processor between series 1 & 2 only because I can't see series 2 being much faster than what I'm seeing with my series 1!!

19. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic