Any shortcut to jump "into" the Preview PDF/JPEG 'name-bar'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cassady, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

I try to get as much right in OS X through my keyboard, in order to cut down on time spent having to jump over to the Magic Trackpad... [I know - 1st world problems! ;) ]

One of the best features of OS X, is Preview's ability to allow a filename to be altered, whilst still 'viewing' that file.

Of course, this is done by clicking in the name of the file, in the title bar at the top, which brings up the mini-menu, allowing you to rename the file, add a tag, and select the save location.

My simple(?) question - can the above only be done by clicking 'into' the filename, or might there be (similar to CMD+L in Safari) some shortcut key that might allow "access" to that editing space, without leaving the keyboard?

See below:

Preview PDF name-bar.png

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In Preview's File Menu is the Rename option. Clicking that makes the filename writable. You can set up your own Keyboard Shortcut to do the same. You can do this in the Keyboard section in System Preferences.

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Ah - many thanks, I obviously looked through the menu-items with both eyes closed yesterday (since I never saw the rename option!). :oops:

But now I've run into this problem - so, incredibly, cannot manage to add the shortcut to Preview, using the usual route [tried with Export… as well, no joy].
    Will use the Keyboard Maestro workaround in the interim - hopefully, El Capitan fixes it.