Any side effects to unlocking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fizboz, Dec 26, 2010.

1. fizboz macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've got an iPhone 4 on AT&T and am moving overseas in the near future. Rather than buy a new iPhone, I'd like to unlock the one I have. To your knowledge, does jailbreaking & unlocking an AT&T iPhone reduce any of the phone's functionality?

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Battery drains faster. You won't be able to upgrade your iOS whenever you like. Usually, you'll have to stick to an older version. Some apps require the latest iOS, so you can't use them.
    BTW, since you're asking such a basic question, you should check that your iPhone has the right baseband. If your modem firmware doesn't read 1.59 or lower, you can't unlock.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Really best thing to do id sell the phone before you leave and buy one there when you get overseas. either on the local carrier or factory unlocked. overall you will have less headaches. and not have to worry about loosing your unlock. hope you enjoy your new home.

5. milamber macrumors regular

I think I'd agree and say that selling your current iphone and just buying a new one wherever you're going to be settling is the best plan!

Saves a lot of hassle in the long run I think

6. dr bishop macrumors member

I dont think same with battery draining. at most %1-2...