Any sites with free GarageBand loops and plugins?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PhaserFuzz, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I just got my Mac and I'm really getting into GarageBand. I was just wondering if there are any sites that offer free loops and plugins for download? I plan buying some Jam Packs here soon. Which would you recommend? I'm considering the Symphonic Orchestra and Remix packs.

Also is there a way to change the tempo of the song once you've started it? I see the option at the start of the project, but is it possible to change it midway through?

Thanks! :D

2. Kathy Hussey macrumors newbie

tempo change

I don't have any suggestions about free loops, sorry...but the tempo issue is simple to fix.

On the left side of the little "LED" window is a popup where you can select either Time, Measures, Chord, or Project. Project has a picture of a metronome which is the only way one would know that that's where you adjust tempo. Once you've selected project, click on the number under Tempo and you'll have a little slider to adjust.

Simple but oddly misnamed.

-kh

3. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Yes, you can. Here's the help from Apple's garageband website:

Garageband 4.0 Help (iLife '08)

Adding tempo changes

You can change the speed (tempo) of different parts of a project.

Tempo changes can be abrupt, or the project can speed up or slow down gradually to the new tempo.

To add a tempo change:

Choose Track > Show Master Track.

Choose Master Tempo from the Automation pop-up menu.

Add control points at the point where you want the tempo change to start and end.

As you drag the control point, a Help tag with the tempo appears next to it.

4. babyj macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of sites you can get free loops from, just Google for 'free garageband loops' and similar and you'll find them.

For plugins this is the best place to start: http://www.kvraudio.com/

Before buying any of the Jam Packs I'd give some thought to getting Logic Studio instead - yet get the first 5 Jam Packs included with it. It'll cost more than buying 2 Jam Packs on their own but you'll get loads of extra content as well as Logic Pro.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK a Jam Pack costs about £65 whilst Logic Studio will cost about £200 (on eBay, but from a legit seller).