Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Got my router today, connected wirelessly within 1 min, :) I didn't even need the installation cd that they sent. Does that mean I'm missing out on anything?
Am i secure? and anything else i suppose?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I'm on sky broadband
The CD probably contains mcaffee for windows and some "connection software" which is totally unnecessary.
To make sure you are securelog into your router
(go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser)
I believe the default is admin and sky for username and password.
The go into wireless and enable wpa security. Set a 13 digit password (13 digits because if you ever want to connect a windows machine and it's not 13 digits it wont connect) and then tell your mac that password and you're done.

aansa

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
How fast and reliable have you both found sky broadband? I am on BT at the moment but was thinking about switching over as it will save me some money. My only concern is that BT has been reliable and gives me dowload speeds of nearly 6Mb.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
How fast and reliable have you both found sky broadband? I am on BT at the moment but was thinking about switching over as it will save me some money. My only concern is that BT has been reliable and gives me dowload speeds of nearly 6Mb.

Gimme a week and i'll tell you;) only been a few hrs
Word of warning - the customer support is dire:mad:

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I'm on sky broadband
The CD probably contains mcaffee for windows and some "connection software" which is totally unnecessary.
To make sure you are securelog into your router
(go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser)
I believe the default is admin and sky for username and password.
The go into wireless and enable wpa security. Set a 13 digit password (13 digits because if you ever want to connect a windows machine and it's not 13 digits it wont connect) and then tell your mac that password and you're done.

I assume you can keep the regular password if you want to use windows via bootcamp?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England

I was on sky connect, it was the worst ever. Restarting the modem every 30 minutes, poor service, shoddy connection.
I was upgraded to the mid package about a month ago, it's been fine ever since, reasonably fast, no loss of connection.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

I've had Sky broadband since April and it's been perfect (touch wood). Getting about 7.5Mb which is above what the on-line check said I'd get, had to reboot the router once after a very heavy bittorrent week but that's about it. Only changes I've made to the setup on the wireless router is preventing any device from connecting unless I authorise the MAC address first.

Word of warning though - the customer support is awful. Outright lied to me about whether the router had shipped (they tried to deliver it and failed. Uh, really, odd considering there's a concerge service and the tracking number shows they only picked it up from Sky ten minutes ago) and seemed shocked that I could answer the question "what operating system will you be using" correctly and without prompting.

jango

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I'm thinking about going to SKY myself. I'm with BT and whilst they've been pretty good they're also pretty expensive.

One question, does anyone know how much per minute is the SKY Broadband technical helpline? I hear it's pretty expensive. Which begs the question, exactly how 'free' is SKY broadband overall. Do they keep you on hold for a long time to increase their profits?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.