Any SL users returning to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by g-boac, Sep 11, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

I am in the process of restoring my MacBook to Leopard - I have to say that Snow Leopard has been a sad and complete disappointment: the machine frequently hangs; I cannot use my MobileMe iDisk without delays of 1-2 minutes for EACH window I open in it; I have not been able to complete a single time machine backup (to a TIME CAPSULE!!!) since installing SL; Finder crashes repeatedly; cannot use Back to My Mac screen sharing with Leopard-based computers; (plus numerous other bugs and quirks cited on here frequently.

I have been excited about the features, UI enhancements and purported stability upgrades so I may consider giving this another shot later - but for now, this software has been a disappointing step backwards in stability and performance. And frankly, not quality I would expect from Apple.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Sounds like you had a bad experience, mate. Snow Leopard runs great for me.

3. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Good morning, friend! Well, my experience is COMPLETELY at odds with reviews, too.

Two questions for you: do you have a MobileMe iDisk? Are you not experiencing these issues? And second, did you do anything particular with your installation to make it run smoothly - anything other than simply dropping the DVD in and doing an upgrade install?

cheers,
    Mark

4. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

I have a 4 week old MBP i have NO issues with my MobileMe iDisk and as for the installation all i did was connect the charger close down all running programs and insert the disk and all was fine for me as well :D

I opted for the upgrade instead of a clean install i don't know if that makes any difference?

5. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I recommend you create a partition. One for each OS. That way when 10.6.2 comes out (.1 was an utter disappointment) you'll be able to update and see if Snow Leopard starts working like you think it should.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm running SL without any problems. my iDisk is painfully slow, so much so that I don't use it. I either use transmit to move my files or the web interface of mobile me. What's said is that the mobile interface is much faster then the iDisk in finder.

All in all, I've had no other problems or issues with SL.

7. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Just to add my experience - I upgraded from Leopard to SL having run Leopard since January 2008 on my iMac and it went seamlessly. I too use MobileMe iDisk and I backup to a Time Capsule using TM and everything works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Did you do an upgrade or clean install of SL? If you did an upgrade maybe something within your old system is causing problems to perhaps a clean install of SL would be worth trying before restoring Leopard? I would advise against running away from the issue back to Leopard unless you know this is a known issue and you can't avoid it by some other means. Keep trying for a resolution with help from people here and your local Apple store or Applecare (if you have access to these of course). I'd start with a clean install, PRAM reset etc and go from there. This could be a hardware issue so the sooner you find a solution the better.

Good luck!
    Craig.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

Before I upgraded to SL I made a clone of my stable, working Leopard install to an external disk. That way if something went wrong with SL I could easily restore back to Leopard or do a clean SL install and then migrate the apps back over.

Fortunately my upgrade to SL has gone well. I don't use MobileMe, so I haven't had to worry about any iDisk problems. There were some minor tweaks I had to make to get my Canon MP620 working again, and had to get updates to some third party programs. Quickbooks still hasn't released their latest patch yet, either. I haven't needed my Leopard clone at all.