Any Smooth Cam feature in FCE or iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maestrokev, Sep 5, 2007.

1. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Hi, new to video editing.

I saw the demo of FCP's Smooth Cam filter and wanted to know if there's something like that for FCE or iMovie 06/08. My video editing is pretty simple except for the need to steady scenes where the camera optical image stabilization wasn't that effective.

Thanks

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

noway in imovie, it doesnt have keyframe versatility.

I dont know about FCE, did you try Google?

you can do it with FCE without the filter by doing your own keyframing and moving the scene around.

After Effects has this built in.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It's not in FCE either. If you really need it, you can go with FCS (very expensive), After Effects (moderately expensive), or Shake (not so expensive if you're a student).

P-Worm

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Isn't there a drop in quality if you don't have the slick FCS>Shake->FCS package?

I avoid OIS or any other fancy tools on camcorders these days. Best to take the footage the way it was meant to be recorded.

Enjoy making movies!

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What?

FCE has less features than FCP, but it doesnt make your stuff lower quality!

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Or you can get a tripod which is even cheaper.

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

hehehe ditto on that.

Also, don't be afraid to do your own motion correction. I wouldn't recommend this for long segments, but if you have short segments that could benefit from some subtlety, just simply click on the ol' motion tab and get to work keyframing. Be sure and turn on the wireframe so you know how much space you have to work with. Be aware that by doing this you will possibly need to matte your final work depending on the output medium. ( use the crop tool if you can, it renders faster than 4 point matte for some reason)

Oh and make sure you set your keyframes to "ease in/out" when doing sharp adjustments.

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

don't need it

It takes a REALLY long time. The effect is really not as effective as you might think. In order to make strong use of it for really shaky, jittery footage, you'll have to start off shooting fairly wide and crop a lot from the edges to allow it to move around and follow (smooth) the action.

Better off doing a good job shooting the footage (tripod, stabilization system).

If you're not already running FCP, then you probably aren't getting paid for your project and unless you need that extra 0.25% better a shot, it really isn't worth the time to even think about.