Any snowboarders here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 16, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

Any of you guys snowboard here? I am gonna to snowboard next week first time :rolleyes: Any good tips?

:apple::apple::):apple::apple:

2. letswastetime macrumors regular

Be ready to be sore. :p

Haha don't worry you'll still have fun though.

Other than that, just make sure you get the basics down before trying anything crazy.

3. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

We never get any snow where I live! Snowboarding sounds like it would be a lot of fun, though.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Pay for beginner lessons. You'll get better faster if you start off w/a solid understanding of the basics. Don't get ahead of yourself either. If you are w/a group of more experienced friends and they take blue runs don't feel pressured to try and keep up w/them. You'll just have a miserable time falling down the mountain and be less inclined to pick up a board again. Stick to the greens, go at your own pace and remember your supposed to be having fun.:D

Most snowboarding injures are to the upper body so I'd wear a helmet (some people wear wrist guards too).

Lethal

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive been snowboarding every year for about 5 years. i stay up on the slopes for about a week so ive only really been snowboarding for about 5 weeks :p. i can do black runs (but like racing down blue runs better), railslides and tabletops in parks, 180s, grabs etc.

first up have you ever skated or snowboarded before? if not get some lessons. if you have you dont need them trust me.

regular stance is left leg forward and goofy stance is right leg forward. heel side is the direction your heels face and toe side is the directions your toes face... pretty self explanatory.

when boarding down a slope carve to the heel side then to the toe side in an "S" formation. use your back leg to carve and your front leg to stabilise. this is called carving and is the basic manoeuvre which prevents the board from gaining too much speed and losing control down a slope. this is the hardest thing to learn for beginners and its usually the heel side or toe side carve which gives them trouble.

be patient as you will likely fall a lot and probably end up with a sore icy bum and sore wrists from breaking your fall. so invest in some wrist pads and a helmet if the slopes are icy. try to fall heelside and not toeside and its painful!... /faceplant!

to stop either do a quick heel side or toe side carve and centre your balance (most boarders do a heel side).

when boarding at a slower speed either when your approaching a chair lift or boarding on a gentle slop slide on either your heel side or toe side. dont slide on the flat bottom as you have less control and the board will twist and youll stack it. this is of course ignored when you do a jump as you have to be flat and stabilised (a bit more advanced).

i would have to disagree with this. i had a newbie snowboarder come with me on my fourth year and he learnt much faster by keeping up with our group. he confessed that forcing himself to keep up with us on the blue runs made him learn quicker and gain more confidence than boarding on the green runs. of course we waited for him down the bottom though :p. by the second year he kept up with us! BUT for the first couple of days i would suggest doing your own thang.

p.s. stick to boarding! youll never got back to skiing!

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ouch.

skied all of my life (38 out of 40). thought, hey, that looks like fun....

pain meds and the best instructor you can find. there is no other way.

did i mention pain meds? oh yeah, and get waterproof pants.

snow hurts when you hit it. lots. and you are going to hit it lots.

on the plus side, once you 'get it', there is no better way to get down the mountain. riding since '86. old school.

best of luck.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Snowboarding is the 2nd quickest way to get a sore bum.

8. CATinHAWAII macrumors member

CATinHAWAII

definately take lessons... :rolleyes:

have fun,,, take a break often, always helps to
    go with someone else, at same level is nice,
    so as not to get frustrated, but learn from each other
    and each others mistakes...

9. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Your first day will be the worst. It gets better after that. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Make sure you have some 'waterproof' clothing. You'll be on your butt and knees a lot, and if you get wet, you will be miserable. Make sure you have goggles/sunglasses, and some good gloves as well.

Good Luck!!!:D

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Snowboard is very nice!! i do it too!!
    Have warm clothing!!

11. elcid macrumors 6502

I have to say its a fun pain though. A lot of people are concerned about getting hurt but when you fall down the hill you just have to look up the mountain and smile. It is lot of fun and it will take some time to get used to. If you can go down the bunnies on your heals without falling down you will be good to go.

Boarding since 2000, 3 tours out west. Get really good and go through the powder in the middle of a forrest. There is not a lot that is better!

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If it's gonna be your first day... stick with the skis if conditions are icy. Two edges are better than one on ice.

If it's nice powdery conditions, grab the snowboard. It's great fun; although as noted above, you'll be on your ass and knees more often than a two-dollar hooker at a frat party until you get the hang of it.