Any software devs out there know if my idea is possible?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dccorona, Oct 26, 2010.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Basically, I am wondering if, given the terms of the iPhone dev agreement, an app like this would be allowed on the app store

Everyone knows bluetooth headsets are allowed to initiate calls on the iPhone, even if the phone app isnt running, and/or the phone is locked

could an app for the iPad or even the mac be able to emulate a bluetooth headset in order to initiate calls on the iPhone? Or is this something that would only be possible with a jailbroken device?

2. amorya macrumors 6502

An iPad app to do that requires jailbreaking (if it's possible at all). But it should be possible as a Mac app, as far as I know.

On an iOS device, the only things non-jailbroken apps can do with Bluetooth are receive keys from a keyboard, send audio to/from a headset, talk to an app on another phone using GameKit, or talk to a custom built accessory with a Made For iPhone chip inside it.

Amorya

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What about initiating calls via the tel: URL? Maybe elaborate more on what Bluetooth functionality you are hoping to emulate.

4. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

just initiating calls, nothing more

I forgot that you could initiate them in that way, but could an iPad use that workaround to make an iPhone on a shared network initiate a call?

good to know that it is possible with a mac app though

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably not. Still unsure why you are wanting to initiate calls this way.

6. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

it was just an idea I had, to sort of use an iPad or mac as a control center for an iPhone, maybe if the phone is docked at an unreachable distance

I've always wondered why our devices aren't more blended by now, why do we have to reach for our phone when we're on a large computer thats more than capable of doing what we need our phone for, and of all the ideas I had for blending the experiences, this seems the only one that would be allowed by an application on an unjailbroken iPhone