Any Software for Older OSX That Won't Work in Leopard/Tiger

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Seeing updates to the threads about older OSX versions made me wonder...

Is there any software that people use on older PPC versions of OSX that is not compatible with Leopard (and/or Tiger)? I totally get the desire to run older OS versions just for the sake of studying them, or for fun, but just curious whether there are folks out there running those versions due to dependent software.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
My Digi 001 http://www.audiotechnology.com/modern-classic-digidesign-digi-001/ works up to Panther with Protools. I can use it on Tiger and Leo as CoreAudio interfaces, but not with protools.

The same happens with the AudioMedia III https://archive.digidesign.com/support/specs/toolbox_specs.html
Interesting. Not too surprising that audio hardware would be a driving force, based on what I've read about older audio hardware and OS9 even. :) Thanks for the example!

Any others out there?

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Photoshop 7. Crashes on launch in Leopard.
Photoshop 7 runs great on any Tiger system, like my G3 Pismo and clamshell iBook.

The PowerPC virtualizing tool “Mac-on-Mac” (mentioned on the Panther thread) is an example of a Panther-only app. I believe it is due to the kext required to run the software, which won’t run on Tiger or Leopard.

I think for anyone running Panther on a G3, it would likely be due to lower hardware specs than any software requirement. Panther is quite happy with 256MB of RAM and zips along comfortably on almost any G3. I have Panther on a 333MHz Lombard and on one of my 233MHz PDQs. For me, installation of anything pre-Panther has only ever been for fun :)

Reactions: dbdjre0143

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Photoshop 7 runs great on any Tiger system, like my G3 Pismo and clamshell iBook.

The PowerPC virtualizing tool “Mac-on-Mac” (mentioned on the Panther thread) is an example of a Panther-only app. I believe it is due to the kext required to run the software, which won’t run on Tiger or Leopard.

I think for anyone running Panther on a G3, it would likely be due to lower hardware specs than any software requirement. Panther is quite happy with 256MB of RAM and zips along comfortably on almost any G3. I have Panther on a 333MHz Lombard and on one of my 233MHz PDQs. For me, installation of anything pre-Panther has only ever been for fun :)
Panther is and was one of the most boring versions of OS X I've ever used. But. It was one of the most stable versions I've ever used. I prefer Leopard because it has more options and features, but the price for that is less responsiveness compared to Panther.

It was the fact that PS7 wouldn't work with Leopard though that had me getting CS4. Had it worked, I probably would have remained using it and Illy 10.

In any case, Tiger remains the last version that will run PS7.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Good point. Back when I got my first Mac, I had Tiger running on a Lombard, and didn't find it slow at all. Shoot, I even used it on the web. Guarantee I wouldn't have the patience required to do that today, partly because my expectations have shifted, but mostly because of web-bloat turning it into a snail for that purpose. :p
[doublepost=1550364379][/doublepost]
Just went and saw that in the Panther thread. Sounds like a really cool app! That's the kind of thing I was wondering about with this thread. :)

Reactions: AphoticD