Any software like iPhoto but for videos from a camcorder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by troy14, Mar 13, 2014.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Love the Mac and iPhoto for my parents and their digital cameras. However, I haven't found anything simple enough and similar to iPhoto for their Sony camcorder.

What I am looking for is a program where they can plug in their SD card or preferably directly sony camcorder, import videos, and have them up so they can view them whenever they want.

My parents are NOT tech savvy, they do not edit videos, etc. What they want is an easy easy way to import and view. No organizing into folders, etc.

Anything out there?

2. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I thought (assumed) iPhoto would import video from a camcorder SD card. I know it imports the videos I take with my phone and from the SD card out of my camera when I use it to take video.

Does it not do that with the SD card from their camcorder?

As far as viewing them after they import them. How do they view the pictures they import into iPhoto from their camera? Maybe the same program will also play the videos once they have been imported into iPhoto.

Jon…

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think the problem is that the videos from the camcorder are in an unsupported format. Otherwise troy14 is correct, iPhoto would kick in and handle it without a problem.

4. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Good point about the format. I guess Troy will let us know what format the camcorder uses when he replies.

Jon…

5. troy14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys, I thought it would automatically notify me if someone replied but I guess that's only if you directly quote me.

My parents are using a Sony DCR-SX65, my videos come in as mpeg-2.... not sure if that helps any.

I'd be willing to buy a new camcorder - doesn't have to be the greatest, just simple to use. Would I be correct in trying to find one that shoots mp4? Do they exist?

6. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Troy,

I would think ??? that most modern cameras/camcorders would output a format that iPhoto would import.

I have an older Canon G12 camera that also shoots video. I just did a test and it imported into iPhoto no problems and played from within iPhoto. I then copied it to my desktop and and it played in Quicktime by default.

Getting info on the file gave me the following…

Codecs = H.264, Linear PCM
    File extension = .mov

Regarding your parents camcorder….

I was going to suggest trying iMovie but that might be to involved (complicated) for your parents and might frustrate them. It even frustrates me at times….LOL.

Unless someone can suggest some easy to use software for Mpeg-2 I think a different camcorder might be the way to go. And last time I looked basic digital camcorders were not to expensive.

I'm not sure if they all output mp4 files these days but since iPhoto also works with .mov files that should make it easier to find a camcorder that works with iPhoto.

Jon…